Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

British WW II Respirator

Article about: Hey Comrades... Some weeks ago i´ve got myself an old british Gasmask, i dont know if it´s an MK IV or an MK V. The mask says " BFG 4/1943", and there are several numbers and marki

Default British WW II Respirator

Hey Comrades...

Some weeks ago i´ve got myself an old british Gasmask, i dont know if it´s an MK IV or an MK V. The mask says " BFG 4/1943", and there are several numbers and markings on the filter, the name "Donald Trump, Toronto" engraved on it, so it might be made in Canada ?? Any help is appreciated, i´ll post some pics to share my new little toy. As recommended i treated the asbestos-filter with water & white glue and NEVER breathed trough it, so don´t worry. The rubber of the mask was cleaned with an "Armor All" Rubber protector for cars, wheels, vynil and stuff, it is supposed to protect against UV, cracks & oxidation, i hope i didn´t do wrong.. Any comments or recomendations are higly appreciated..
    hasta pronto amigos...
    danhashman
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British WW II Respirator   British WW II Respirator  

British WW II Respirator   British WW II Respirator  

British WW II Respirator   British WW II Respirator  

Last edited by danhashman; 04-09-2011 at 11:06 PM.

Default Re: British WW II Respirator

Hi danhashman
    Thats a lovely mask and great condition you've done a good job with the preservation and its clean up. That photo of you wearing it gave me a heart attack until I'd read your text. Good job with the white glue.
    Thanks for posting.
    LUCKYSTRIKE

4md
    ?

hello danhashman
    the fourth photo has a C with an arrow on top of the filter which is a Canadian stamp.
    this gas mask could have been issued to other commonweath countrys as well....... i have seen webbing,rifle slings, pouches, etc with canadian markings in australia
    Last edited by 4md; 04-10-2011 at 08:23 AM.

Talking Re: British WW II Respirator

hello danhashman
    the fourth photo has a C with an arrow on top of the filter which is a Canadian stamp.
    this gas mask could have been issued to other commonweath countrys as well....... i have seen webbing,rifle slings, pouches, etc with canadian markings in australia[/QUOTE]

Thank you guys for your interesting comments. Actually, i found this respirator in mexico. So, is it british made and then exported to canada, or is only the filter canadian made (by Donald Trump from Toronto?). And what is this "BFG" stamp on the rubbermask (guess a factory-stamp...)?

4md
    ?

Im not 100% sure but i think BFG is the famous american tyre manufacturer b.f. goodrich who made tyres and other items during ww2
    I would say this is a canadian maufactured gas mask made from parts sourced in canada and the usa
    although this is probably not british manufactured it is a british pattern made under licence in north america. I have a gas mask exactly the same but all the parts are made by australian companies.

Hey 4md and company...
    Thanxx for your info, you guys are full of knowledge.
    So it seems that it might be a british mask which was made in USA, with a canadian filter on it..
    And i thought in my ignorance that "globalization" was something rather recent..