Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

British WW2 Folding Saw

Article about: Here are some pix a Surgical set and some of a civilian Sabre Cut Saw

?

Default British WW2 Folding Saw

Hi guys.
    Thought that I would post a few pic's of a piece of kit that my late grandfather gave me some years ago.

Its a folding saw that apparently came from the kit of a Churchill tank. (I have no reason to doubt it as he was a Serjeant Tank commander on Churchills in WW2)

Its about 42inches long overall with a cutting edge of about 36inch.
    It rolls up and has its own leather wallet, (marked S.E.NORRIS & Co 1939 The wallet is approximately 6.5inches W by 6inches H by 1inch D.

It still has the original "saw set" but is missing one, possibly two other small tools, that should be with it.

The actual saw is still razor sharp!

Regards etc

Ian

AKA: Jimpy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British WW2 Folding Saw   British WW2 Folding Saw  

British WW2 Folding Saw   British WW2 Folding Saw  

British WW2 Folding Saw  
    Last edited by jimpy; 04-05-2010 at 08:37 AM.

Default Re: British WW2 Folding Saw

Nice one Ian
    Thanks Mate

?

Thx Rene

I know that this has a lot of sentimental value etc and I would never part with it, or anything else that I got from my grandfather, but its these sorts of things that I like collecting, as well as the cap badges etc. You just know that they have "got a history" and have actually been used.

Regards etc

Ian

You are missing the 2 wood handles & the file here's a pic
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British WW2 Folding Saw  

?

Thanks for posting that Recon.
    I knew that something was missing because of the internal pockets in the holster, just didnt know what!

Regards etc

Ian D

Recon:

I understand the file and one handle, but what is the other metal item and the second handle for? Can't recall having seen a "set" like that.

I know....I'm missing something obvious.

I have a civilian knock-off, with two cross handles for the chainsaw, but no file or "set".

PG

?

Hi PG

The complete set comprises of the following:
    Leather case
    Saw
    Saw-set, (the metal item, bottom left of Recon's pic and middle of mine)
    Sharpening file, (the metal "bar" above the handles in Recon's pic)
    Wooden handles, two.

The wooden handles are actually there to use with the small sharpening file and the saw-set, NOT for using with the saw itself, hence why there are two of them. The ends are a "push-fit" onto the file and set, thereby creating a useable tool as opposed to having a spike digging in the hand, although I would also suggest that the handles were also used as "tommy bars" through the brass finger rings at each end of the saw to give better purchase when in use.
    The file is for sharpening the teeth on the saw.
    The saw-set is for setting the angle of the saw teeth if they get displaced for any reason.

Bear in mind that this is a British army folding saw that was "vehicle issue" kit. Recon's set is complete, mine has lost over the years the two wooden handles and the file. Although, going on the grease wrapper, I would suggest that Recon's set has never been issued, where-as mine was issued and was "liberated" by my late grandfather.

Hope this is of some help PG.

Regards etc

Ian D

Last edited by jimpy; 06-21-2010 at 07:18 AM. Reason: Addition

Thanks Ian/Jimpy, I've got it now.

I'm sure you've seen the much smaller "Commando saws" made of wire with teeth of varying quality. Surgeons use a similiar kind instument in some amputations apparently.

I don't have a military issue item, but I have used this type in survival kits. They usually come with split rings, which I replace with nylon loops. Saves space in a pocket-size kit, and the loops can be hooked around trhe ends of a bow to make a sevicable "Swede saw".

Re: vehicle issue....I keep my version of your chain saw in my truck tool kit. Only had to use it once to get someone else out of a jam.

Thanks for getting back.

Cheers,

Pat G.

my pic is just a reference one, I have an extensive file of reference pix. Note the rat tail on the scraper device similar to the rat tail on the file, 2 tools 2 handles. Also I have seen pics of the set with groves worn in the center of the handles from use in the rings on the ends of the saw.

Judging by the 2 slits in the saw set (scraper devise) in your pic jimpy that it is a multi tool that can be used as a cleaner, tooth adjuster, scraper. That would be my guess.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast