Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

british ww2 gas mask.

Article about: Interesting thread, great info on how to properly display gas masks and how to prevent further deterioration. Most things are like previously stated, down to common sence but i hadnt thought

Default british ww2 gas mask.

And this added to my collection.

Is there a method to apply something to the gas mask to save the rubber from future crackings?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture british ww2 gas mask.   british ww2 gas mask.  

british ww2 gas mask.  

Default Re: british ww2 gas mask.

Hello I dont know hot to say in english, that powder used in babys i think it helps but wait for another opinion

?

Hi, I think you can use powdered chalk. Nice gas mask,what date is it? Aaron.

filter says 44.
    You mean to coat it with powdered chalk?
    I want this mask to fit it in a mannequin with the british helmet.With the chalk it will be white :-) Can i use vaseline or silicone oil spray??

Finally something that I can comment on and actually know what I'm on about Theres a lot of methods that can be used to help preserve gas masks such as talcum powder and chalk power as already mentioned. However this isnt the only solution, none of my masks are stored in this way, its the conditions that they are stored in that matter the most. Having the mask exposed to heat, direct sunlight, cold and damp are the 4main causes for deterioration. These can be avoided very easily, its common sense how to avoid them, its just knowing what causes the rubber to perish that some people get stuck with. If you keep somewhere safe where the surrounding conditions are suitable the mask shouldnt deteriorate any further.

I hope this helps

Thanks

Danny

Quote by giorgos View Post
    filter says 44.
    You mean to coat it with powdered chalk?
    I want this mask to fit it in a mannequin with the british helmet.With the chalk it will be white :-) Can i use vaseline or silicone oil spray??
    If your going to fit the mask to a mannequin, make sure that the filter is held correctly to prevent it tugging on the the mask, another idea is to bore very small holes into the mannequins head and fit metal pins through the buckles attaching to the facepiece and into the holes, this will take the strain off the head harness. I'll post some pictures later of how this is done because its difficult to explain and dont use vaseline! I've seen it done before and for some reasons gas masks just dont like the stuff.....

Thanks

Danny

you are pro man!!

Thanks

can you tell me please the correct model of this mask?is this a mkv?or mkiv?

?

You can also try Power Assisted Steering fluid as this is designed to lubricate and preserve the rubber hoses on a cars steering system, P.A.S. actually contains some of the active volatile compounds found in rubber and neoprene and helps to replenish these components back into the rubber surface, it works in a similar way to treating leather with a food or cream to re-hydrate the hide. As already mentioned the main reason rubber perishes is U. V. exposure and heat, this draws out the volatile compounds which rubber naturally contains and intern oxidises the surface and turns its into an unstable matt and chalky like layer. The P.A.S. should be sparingly applied with a paint brush to both sides of the rubber (if possible) and then left for no more than two hours, once the fluid has had time to be absorbed into the surface, take a piece of clean lint free cloth which has been dipped in fresh P.A.S. and then start to wipe the mask and tubes, you will notice the cloth becomes black very quickly, this is in fact the surface oxide coming away from the mask. Repeat this procedure until the cloth remains clean, then take a fresh dry cloth and wipe the mask all over and then leave to dry for several days, at first you will find the mask has a slight sticky feel too it, just like new rubber but this will soon go. Also I found in the past that the rubber becomes more flexible and less prone to cracking, in fact although it will not fix perished areas, I found that these age related wounds in the surface will actually start to close up and be less noticeable.

Well here's the proof,

My M1-1-5 Optical gas mask was as stiff as a board, and white with mildew when I got it, having spent most of its life packed into its issue bag with our seeing the light of day. The mask has been treated twice in this way since I've owned it, with the last treatment being over eighteen months ago, and as can be seen the rubber still retains its natural sheen (photo taken yesterday for my other thread). The mask is also stored out of direct sunlight as per GasmasksUK's recommendations, at an average room temperature and is well ventilated, plus its stored exactly as seen in the picture.

Finally PLEASE do not use Petroleum jelly, silicone or mineral oil, these will not help and will make things much worse as none are compatible with rubber and will in fact have adverse effects on its properties, P.A.S. was designed specifically to be in contestant contact with rubber and is therefore why I'd only ever use this type of oil/fluid. But do not over treat the mask, especially if applying to both sides, or you'll make the rubber become spongy, and thus more prone to damage in the already wreaken areas, until the rubber starts to dry out once again. Oh I forget to say P.A.S. stinks and has a burn arid smell, do this restoration work ether up the shed on in the garage.

Nige
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "

Thanks.I will try.I have already a bottle with that red juice from my car!!And i will post soon....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast