MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Britsh Saw...Is it worth getting?

Article about: Hey guys I just came across this saw at a local antique store for \\$45 USD. It features a broad arrow, but I really don't know if such items are rare or how they were used by the army. Any in

?

Default Britsh Saw...Is it worth getting?

Hey guys I just came across this saw at a local antique store for $45 USD. It features a broad arrow, but I really don't know if such items are rare or how they were used by the army.

Any info or thoughts would be helpful!

?

I've never seen broad arrow marked tools but old tools are more often than not far better quality than newer ones so personally I'd buy it and hang it on the wall. I use an old Brit entrenching tool in our very stoney garden sometimes, I find it's better quality than anything modern.

Tony

It's a nice old item, but the collectabilty and value of items like this is limited.

The Royal Engineers still have this model of saw in service now , i think the price is ok but without a date on it its hard to say when it was issued

?

This company has several hits on a Google search including an old catalogue with saw illustrations. I am guessing it dates from between the wars. I rather like this item but would be hoping to haggle on the price.
    You have inspired me to raid my workshop and start a thread on broad arrow hand tools.

Oz

Tools like this is also another collecting field! I'd take it that's for sure

I'd pick it up, I am looking for a /|\ marked one for my saw cover. https://hatchfive.wordpress.com/2015...rmy-saw-cover/

?

Thanks for all the responses guys! I've decided not to get the saw, given its price and lack of a date. I also prevented my brother from picking it up, because he intended to use it as a saw and is very rough on his tools.

NCA
    ?

Nice looking saw...its interesting in that it has finer teeth at the end for starting the cut.the large type of teeth you only see on large felling saws..sometimes they have a handle on that hole at the end so you can have an assistant.

I agree on a WD /I\ tools thread...it could be endless!