Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Cameras and insignia of U.S. war photographers

Article about: Gentlemen, I would like to share with you my modest collection of war photographer related material. War photographers have always fascinated me, as it was through their eyes that we have ha

Default Cameras and insignia of U.S. war photographers

Gentlemen,

I would like to share with you my modest collection of war photographer related material.

War photographers have always fascinated me, as it was through their eyes that we have had the chance to have an aproximation of what a war is like. It always amazed me that they used their cameras as weapons. Even though I always admired the work of well known photographers, such as Capa, Centelles, Rosenthal or
    Khaldei, my admiration for the anonimous photographers was even bigger.

There were (and still are) very few sources of information about military war photographers, but I was finally able to find a magnificnet book: Armed with cameras, written by Peter Maslowski. With it, I was able to learn and then get hold of the most of the equipment and insignia of the american military photographers.

The first group of photos show a 35mm. B&W Bell& Howell Eyemo camera, of the type that filmed 90% of the footage of WWII.

There is also a 16mm Bell& Howell Filmo colour camera, one of the types used mostly in the pacific, and the one used by Hollywood director George Stevens to fim his "diary" in colour from D-Day to Berlin. I also show an unopened box with a 16mm Kodachrome roll of film, period dated.

Regards,

Gus
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cameras and insignia of U.S. war photographers   Cameras and insignia of U.S. war photographers  

Cameras and insignia of U.S. war photographers   Cameras and insignia of U.S. war photographers  

Default Re: Cameras and insignia of U.S. war photographers

The second group of photos show a Graflex Speed Graphic 4x5 camera. Ther official camera for U.S. war photographers.

The second one is a Kodak 35 camera, another machine that was widely used by war photographers.

Finally, ther is a Kodak "Premo" camera, of the type used by G.I.s to make their private photos and some photographers and correspondents in the ETO.

Regards,

Gus
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cameras and insignia of U.S. war photographers   Cameras and insignia of U.S. war photographers  

Cameras and insignia of U.S. war photographers   Cameras and insignia of U.S. war photographers  

Finally, I am showing the photos of pupils of the USAAF training school in 1944.

The last photo shows all the insignia of both civil and military photographers and correspondents during WWII. All of them are original specimens (to my knowledge).

Regards,

Gus

Hi Gus,

Thats some seriously nice camera gear you've got there!!

I fully agree with your sentiments regarding the war photographers, and i also feel the same regarding the job of the war reporters who often worked hand in glove with the photographers.

Therefore, i am posting this posthumous picture of the famous American war correspondent Ernie Pyle taken on the 18th of April 1945 on the island of Le Shima near Okinawa. The photo was taken by U.S war photographer Alexander Roberts shortly after Ernie was hit in the left temple by japanese machinegun fire. He was killed instantly.

The negative lay undiscovered until June 2008, when it was found nearly 63 years after Ernies death. It shows, for me, the skill, courage and sacrifice these men made to bring the war home for the majority of their fellow countrymen. They should not be so easily forgotten, and i really admire you for collecting this equipment and keeping the memory of these brave men alive, well done sir!

Kind Regards, Ned.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cameras and insignia of U.S. war photographers  

Ned,

Thanks for your answer and praise. I agree fully with you regarding war correspondents.

As for the Ernie Pyle photo, I remember reading the news of the photo of him laying dead after being hit. Quite compelling.

Ernie Pyle is without a doubt one of the best correspondents of the war. His articles were like fine paintings of that he saw. He was the Robert Capa of reporting. I shiver every time I read his reports made on the Normandy beachheads (Archive A Pure Miracle Ernie Pyle) . The article ""The Death of Captain Waskow" (Archive The Death of Captain Waskow Ernie Pyle) is one of the most awesome pieces of journalism ever written.

Regards,

Gus

Gus,

Those are a fine couple of links you've posted there! I am familiar with both, but i think a few of the lads here will be as impressed as much as us both after having read them.Thankyou.

Regards Ned.

Gentlemen,

I just found this photo of soviet and western correspondents and photographers joking together, in a photo taken probably in Berlin just after the war.

I thought it is nice enough to post it here. I hope you like it.

Regards,

Gus
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cameras and insignia of U.S. war photographers