Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Canadian Mk VIII Gas Mask

Article about: Hello, I have this little beauty aside from some paint loss on the canister and the broken piece in the back, it's in really good condition in my collection but I have a question or two abou

Default Canadian Mk VIII Gas Mask

Hello, I have this little beauty aside from some paint loss on the canister and the broken piece in the back, it's in really good condition in my collection but I have a question or two about it.

First of all, I've never seen one of these with the vertical bar on the filter (see Image 3)

Second of all, Is this model rare in any way?

And third, is there any way to repair the broken piece on the backing? (see image 2)

and any other comments are welcomed as I know pretty much nothing about this.

"GSW Macdonald Plant Toronto"

and markings on the mask itself (Sorry for quality, camera's batteries died before I had a chance to get better ones)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Canadian Mk VIII Gas Mask   Canadian Mk VIII Gas Mask  

Canadian Mk VIII Gas Mask   Canadian Mk VIII Gas Mask  

Canadian Mk VIII Gas Mask   Canadian Mk VIII Gas Mask  

?

Default Re: Canadian Mk VIII Gas Mask

Hello and welcome to the forum, I have seen many of these on my travels around Southern Ontario..so it is not that rare.
    As for the repair..if you are going to display or use it for Living History, I would suggest sewing on a black cloth patch on the inside of the straps..that way it would be harder to see, if you are just keeping it as a collectors piece..leave it the way it is.
    One other Idea is this..you may come across one of these with the mask itself in poor shape...you can get a deal on them in that condition...and you can salvage the bit you need off it.

With all things WW2 Canadian Military getting so hard to find..many of us are now buying up damaged or poor quality items for parts to make repairs..this is something you may consider.

One example of this is something I do with rusty WW2 Canadian Helmets..you can only get about $35 for a rusty or poor quility Lid..however you can get about $60-$70 for the liner, screw, pad, and chinstrap..makes no sense to me.

Dean

I've thought about finding another mask and salvaging the piece off of it as you've suggested, but that's kind of a last resort kind of thing.

Any idea as to what the bar on the canister is? If memory serves it had something to do with this being a training gas mask or something like that, but I'm not entirely sure.

?

I am not sure what it is for..perhaps a strap to stop the cannister from swinging when you are moving.

Dean

I don't think that's it seeing as it had the bag for that issue, I've never seen another one with the bar like mine