Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Canadian Red Cross bag named to an ATS girl

Article about: Hiya, a nice little Canadian Red Cross Society bag. I like all the details filled in on the label by the ATS girl who owned it. "Pte Bailey, W/87491. Park Hall Camp, Oswestry. Feb. 1942

Default Canadian Red Cross bag named to an ATS girl

Hiya, a nice little Canadian Red Cross Society bag. I like all the details filled in on the label by the ATS girl who owned it.

"Pte Bailey, W/87491. Park Hall Camp, Oswestry. Feb. 1942"

Cheers, Lez.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Canadian Red Cross bag named to an ATS girl   Canadian Red Cross bag named to an ATS girl  

Default re: Canadian Red Cross bag named to an ATS girl

A nice link which ties in with the camp and the ATS connection from the BBC wartime memories site:

BBC - WW2 People's War - No 1 Plotting Officers School, Park Hall Camp, Oswestry, late 1942-1943

Default Re: Canadian Red Cross bag named to an ATS girl

Nice to have all those details and be able to pinpoint the bag's history so definitely. That Plotting Officers School memoir is a really interesting read The 3.7 AA Gun has to be the most unappreciated weapon of the war, if you ask me. It was basically a larger calibre, more powerful and superior version of the German 88mm Flak and, for some reason, never gets the same glory as the German's war-losing version

Rob

Hi Rob, a friend of ours has a 3.7 in his collection It is a super bit of kit.

Cheers, Lez.

Your named goodies are awesome. Excellent article, but it's funny how they treated the women. "We took the girls out so they could hear how loud the guns were." Really? I doubt they had any difficuly hearing the guns. Plus, they wanted to show off and teach the women how to range the guns, but they didn't let them do any ranging. Huh? Much simpler time then, men were men and women were ahhhhh.........women.

Jay

Thanks Jay!

I have some other items of her's to add to this thread.

A 9 page letter to her parents on RA headed note paper. And 3 page list of ATS members shoes sent to be repaired!

Cheers, Lez.