Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

CH. 76 field chest?

Article about: My friend found this US Army/Navy field chest from recently demolished finnish barn along with two other US safes. I was able to buy two of the safes from the owner of the barn and now I nee

?

Default CH. 76 field chest?

My friend found this US Army/Navy field chest from recently demolished finnish barn along with two other US safes. I was able to buy two of the safes from the owner of the barn and now I need some help with these.

I Googled that this CH. 76 was used as a portable safe for SIGABA Cipher machine. CH - Chests - RadioNerds and also marking "SIG" may refer to that use(?) Some other sources like ECM mark II (SIGABA) manual also refer to this CH. 76 safe. We were able to open another safe (non marked and nothing inside), but this CH. 76 is closed for good and I believe it won't open without force. There is definitely something inside as it makes sound when you move it around. I'm not very interested in damaging this safe by grinding it open, but i guess there isn't any options. Any ideas?

Also if somebody can tell me something about the markings or tell me basicly anything about this safe...

Any help is highly appreciated

CH. 76 field chest?

CH. 76 field chest?

CH. 76 field chest?

CH. 76 field chest?

Hi. Checkout this thread it regards a similar safe. I would suggest that you have a locksmith open it. The safe is worth money and you don't want to end up damaging any goodies inside. However I am sure someone here will come along with a little more expertise then I as to what to do if the item inside is indeed that cipher machine.
    gp
    U.S. Field Safe