Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Churchill Named trunk

Article about: Hi Guys, I have had this in the roof for a while and re-discovered it while clearing out. It is named to Brigadier TBL Churchill MC of the 2nd Battalion The Manchester Regiment. He was Broth

Default Churchill Named trunk

Hi Guys,
    I have had this in the roof for a while and re-discovered it while clearing out.

It is named to Brigadier TBL Churchill MC of the 2nd Battalion The Manchester Regiment.
    He was Brother to Mad Jack and Buster Churchill.

Churchill Named trunkChurchill Named trunk

A brief summary taken from http://www.deddingtonhistory.uk/__da...tentsjan15.pdf

THOMAS BELL LINDSAY CHURCHILL
    General Tom Churchill comes of an old Oxfordshire yeoman family whose origins go back to the
    fifteenth century. During the days of Empire representatives of his family served in India and Ceylon as
    soldiers and civil engineers, and in the two World Wars they fought and died in the service of their king.
    In 1926, Tom Churchill passed in 7th to the Royal Military College (as it was called then), Sandhurst,
    thereby gaining a prize cadetship, and he passed out sixth, winning the prize sword for Military History
    in the following year.
    He joined The Manchester Regiment in Burma in 1927 and three years later moved to Secunderabad,
    Deccan, India. In 1931 the Regiment was recalled to Burma because the Burma Rebellion had broken
    out, and a force of brigade strength was sent to that country to quell the outbreak. Churchill commanded
    his platoon in an isolated village post a few miles east of Prome in the southern Irrawaddy District, and
    after a month of ceaseless searching in the paddy fields, villages and jungle by day and night, managed to
    confront a rebel gang, kill the leader and two of his confederates, and capture the remainder. Churchill was
    mentioned in Despatches and awarded the Military Cross for his leadership in the hunt. He was aged 24.
    After being made Adjutant of his Regiment (the youngest in the Army), he moved with his battalion to
    the Sudan, and then in 1933, returned to England.
    Two years later Tom Churchill was appointed instructor in the interpretation of air photographs, and in
    due course became the expert in this form of intelligence. When war was imminent he ran courses to
    teach RAF Bomber Command intelligence officers how to estimate bomb damage to factories, railway
    yards and ports. Later he assisted in establishing the inter-service interpretation establishment at
    Medmenham, where later the German flying bombs were discovered.
    He was attached to RAF Fighter Command during the Battle of Britain, but, tiring of a job on the staff,
    he joined the Army Commandos for the invasion of Sicily, and the landing at Salerno in Italy. When his
    friend Sir Robert Laycock was made Director of Combined Operations, in succession to Lord Louis
    Mountbatten, Tom succeeded Laycock as commander of the Commando Brigade in Italy. He led it in the
    landing at Anzio, and then took command of the island of Vis in the Adriatic, which he put in a state of
    defence, as the Germans were occupying all the other Yugoslav islands lying between Split and
    Dubrovnik.
    In June 1944, Marshal Josip Broz Tito was chased out of Yugoslavia by a German parachute raid at
    Drvar in Montenegro, and was brought by British destroyer to Vis. Churchill and his Commando
    Brigade guaranteed his safety, and Tom came to know him well. It was also on Vis Island that he met
    Fitzroy
    Maclean, later Sir Fitzroy, and made a lasting friend of this outstanding guerrilla leader.
    In September 1944 he landed with his Commando Brigade in Albania, where, after a hard fight in
    appalling weather, he defeated the Germans at Sarande (Santa Quaranta), cut off their retreat to Germany,
    and went on to liberate the island of Corfu.
    After the war, Churchill commanded the British Zone in Austria He was then appointed as Major
    General in charge of administration in the Far East Command, with headquarters at Singapore, and then
    became Vice Quartermaster General to the Forces at the War Office. His final appointment was as
    Deputy Chief of Staff of the Land Forces in NATO at Fontainebleau.
    In 1948 Churchill was sent a copy of General Eisenhower's book, Crusade In Europe. On the fly-leaf
    Ike had written: -
    For Brigadier T.B.L Churchill
    For admiration and high esteem
    to a brilliant leader in World War II.
    Dwight D Eisenhower

That's an interesting discovery!

A great find!....

Hi Roger,

Not sure what to say apart from Wow. This trunk must have belonged to my Grandfather. Do you still have it? Where did you find it? So good to see the pictures. I have a few items handed down to me which I treasure greatly, so to see something else with his name on means a huge amount.

Tom

Hello Roger,

I sincerely hope that you do not mind me posting 2 photographs of Major General Thomas Bell Lindsay Churchill.

Churchill Named trunk

1931 Photograph taken in Burma when he was a Lieutenant serving in the Manchester Regiment

Churchill Named trunk

1957 Photograph when a Major General C.B., C.B.E., M.C.

Best wishes

Andrzej

Thank you Andrzej, I don't mind at all. In the second photo you can see the sword I posted a picture of on another thread. My Grandfather also left me his medals, which can be seen in the picture.

His time in Burma is well documented in his book 'Commando Crusade', as well as details of army life and other raids he was part of. I have some photos of him with Tito and Monty which are pretty cool!

Tom

Hi Tom,
    I did get your pm but have a been a bit hectic this week. I picked up the trunk at the Carboot Sale in Bordon, Hants, in about 2013.

Seems this trunk should go back within the family.

Hi Roger,

No problem, busy time of year! I also wasn't sure if the DM had sent correctly or not. (first time user)

Thank you for your reply, interesting to hear how you acquired the trunk. My grandfather was based in Hampshire on a few occasions - in Farnborough for a period, where he did a lot of work on aerial photography interpretation, in Winchester with No 4 Commando for a while, in Aldershot... etc maybe that's how it came to be in Bordon. We will never know!

Tom