Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Civilian duty respirator question..

Article about: What is the metallic green filter for that is found taped onto the filters of civilian gas masks and duty masks? Some have it, some dont.And also what does the red band signify on the duty m

NCA
    ?

Question Civilian duty respirator question..

What is the metallic green filter for that is found taped onto the filters of civilian gas masks and duty masks?
    Some have it, some dont.And also what does the red band signify on the duty mask filters?
    Thanks.

Default Re: Civilian duty respirator question..

The red band on the duty respirator container tells you that it is a MK. 111 container and although have no proof yet I suspect that the metallic green filter is to upgrade the others to a similar standard to the MK. 111 container? .

I agree with Joseph on what the red band means, and apparently the additional filter that can be found on many Civilian Duty and General Civilian Respirators was added in 1941 as an upgrade to the existing filter to enable it to give protection against a specific gas that the original filter didn't offer any/or little protection from. I cannot remember the name of that specific gas, but I'm sure it will come ot me soon

Thanks

Danny

?

Here's three that I can think of it may jog someone memory

Lewisite, Phosgene, Chlorine, and Mustard Gas.

Nige.

It maybe the first one? as this was developed Post WWI as a Chemical Weapon.
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "

NCA
    ?

Thanks for the help.I seem to recall they where added for Lewisite.Cant think were i read it though..

Lewisite! Thats the one!

Civilian duty respirator question..

Thanks

Danny

The filter on the Civilian Duty and Civilian Respirators contained two basic sections: the first being activated charcoal to absorb gases from the air, and the second a particulate filter designed to catch the particles in what were called "poisonous smokes", that is, war gases with particles large enough to produce a visible smoke cloud. Around 1940, an additional filter, known as the Contex Filter was added to improve the effectiveness of the smoke filter.

Lewisite, unfortunately, is a blister gas (as is Mustard Gas or HC) which exists as a liquid (clear, brown or green depending on its purity) which will give off a vapour, so is definitely not a 'poisonous smoke', and therefore not the point of the Contex. Joseph is correct though, the MK III Container had the improved smoke filter built in.

Rob

PS I looked this up in several publications, but primarily Air Raids. What You Must Know. What You Must Do., published by the Ministry of Home Security in 1940. This one actually gives instructions about where to have the filter applied