Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Confusing Dig Find

Article about: Hi everybody, this is my first time on your site so if my etiquette is wrong or I make mistakes please feel free to correct me. Thanks. I have dug these up in a field (S.France) They are spr

That last photo appears to be a dug-in static flamethrower...
    cheers, Glenn

Hi Glenn. Thanks for that. I originally found this a year ago but only excavated it a little as it was hard going (and to be honest it obviously was not something I was about to add to my collection) and I was often thinking ever since 'I wonder if its a kind of flamethrower'. My curiosity got the better of me and I dug a little deeper to expose a curved steel surface leading me to guess it is a huge storage tank underneath. With no other bits/mechanisms on or around it I was wondering if it was just water or fuel storage. Really excited by your suggestion/confirmation along the same (flamethrower) lines. There was a lot of electrical wire loosely wrapped around the screw cap with the handles welded on, although all the insulation had long disappeared. Maybe I will investigate more next time I am in the area. Will keep you posted if anything interesting comes up from this. Thanks again. Kind regards, Francis.

Look here, Francis...Abwehrflammenwerfer 42...or a version thereof...that's what you've got there, lol...
    cheers, Glenn
    Attached Images Attached Images Confusing Dig Find 

HOLLY SHIT! (am I allowed to swear?) I Cant believe it. Must head back and excavate. Thank you so much for that picture. :-) you're a star!!!

I wouldn't be quite so hasty in digging that thing out, Francis...These were often Booby-Trapped to prevent them from being dug-out or turned around, lol...If you do decide to dig it out anyway, then dig a wide area around it first so you can get a good luck at the whole thing and make sure there isn't a wired grenade or anything else attached to it....
    cheers, Glenn

Thank you for the warnings. So basically, if I exhume it successfully, I even get the (hopefully) unexploded booby traps too, lol Looking at getting over asap to investigate further. Will keep you informed. Thanks again, I'm sooo excited by this. :-)

?

That is an fantastic find, Looks like that will be a exciting or should I say anal puckering excavation.
    Great job IDing that Glenn

Semper Fi
    Phil

Be careful. I would much rather have pics of half uncovered items then news of you being blown up.
    You are more brave then I in this department.

Gen P

Hello Francis, I, too, would Strongly recommend extreme caution, as the others have said, when excavating such a device. They were, indeed, quite often booby-trapped, and even if not, at this late date, they could still contain enough dangerous materials that have corroded into instability that they could very much ruin your day-big time. As for your question in post #10, I have seen and handled countless exploded shell casings, and have never encountered one with a blown out primer.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

It's been an enjoyable if short time that you have been here with us Francis.........Goodbye.

P.S. What size shoes do you take???
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast