Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

A couple of Air Ministry marked Morphine tins

Article about: Hi Guys, I really like collecting ration and other tins. I have a bit of a fetish for tins. I resisted the temptation to say addiction in this case.... These small tins were part of the firs

Default A couple of Air Ministry marked Morphine tins

Hi Guys, I really like collecting ration and other tins. I have a bit of a fetish for tins. I resisted the temptation to say addiction in this case....

These small tins were part of the first aid kit carried in most aircraft. Note the Morphia tin was issued sealed both with tape (note the brighter look to the metal where the tape protected it) plus a wire tag closed with a lead seal. Instructions for use of the syringe is printed inside the lid.

The makers mark of the "Metal Box Company" and the factory code number can be seen in tiny letters on each tin at the botton right corner of the lid.

"Tubunic Ampoules" is also morphia but this tin is not a sealed type.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A couple of Air Ministry marked Morphine tins   A couple of Air Ministry marked Morphine tins  

A couple of Air Ministry marked Morphine tins  

?

Default Re: A couple of Air Ministry marked Morphine tins

Abe did you smuggle this from Holland too ?
    Gary

Hi Gary, no these were bought here is the UK for a couple of quid and were empty.

Cheers, Ade.

Morning Ade,
    Long time ago when in the navy, I knew a medic who carried the same morphine ampoules, the sqeeze lead tube type, under the dashboard of his mini. With these he had lables with string to go round his neck with his name, official number, and amount of morphine injected. He told me he was not going to be in pain in the event of an accident whilst waiting for an ambulance! I don't know what the authorities would have said if the things were discovered, the chap was only a leading sick berth rating and certainly shouldn't have had them.
    I also watched him remove a huge boil from a stoker's neck, with the 'patient' sitting on a chair as we all crowded round for the best view. Complete with local anesthetic he made a splendid job of it without touching the jugular, and his stitching was perfect. I hope he eventually got his medical qualifications as he would have become an excellent doctor.
    Hope I've not put you off your breakfast, and JB if by any chance you should read this, your name will not pass my lips!
    Cheers,
    Guy.
    Cheer's,
    Guy.

Hi,

I have the bottom tin and it still retains its contents including the small cards that came with it.