Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

A couple of Christmas presents for myself...

Article about: I bought these two just before Christmas and have taken the first dangerous steps into British military radios! Needless to say the pricy bit is still to come as I seek out the accessories t

Cool A couple of Christmas presents for myself...

I bought these two just before Christmas and have taken the first dangerous steps into British military radios! Needless to say the pricy bit is still to come as I seek out the accessories to go with them, but I am very happy to have got both.
    First we have a WS38 set which was the standard WW2 British short range radio with a range of about a mile:
    A couple of Christmas presents for myself...A couple of Christmas presents for myself...
    Inside are huge valves and all sorts of electrical bits I don't understand:
    A couple of Christmas presents for myself...A couple of Christmas presents for myself...
    The second radio I picked up is a WS88 set, this replaced the WS38 and is VHF and a sealed unit so it isn't affected by tropical conditions like its predecessor:
    A couple of Christmas presents for myself...A couple of Christmas presents for myself...A couple of Christmas presents for myself...
    It came with a webbing pouch to fit it to a 44 pattern equipment set:
    A couple of Christmas presents for myself...
    I am very pleased with both of these and it is interesting to see how rapidly the technology advanced in just a few short years.
    Ed

Very nice!...

Hi Ed,

Very cool finds! Thanks for sharing them with us.

Mart

NCA
    ?

Nice wireless sets...I have a WS88, its just missing the battery which im in the process of making a repro.Its been fun finding all the bits to go with them!If I can help in any way with a photo just ask.I might even have a spare aerial....I like the Far East Land Forces transfer too.

If you ever are up here up in scotland I know a few dumps that have old radios if youd be interested, theyre just lying there waiting to be claimed

Quote by NCA View Post
    Nice wireless sets...I have a WS88, its just missing the battery which im in the process of making a repro.Its been fun finding all the bits to go with them!If I can help in any way with a photo just ask.I might even have a spare aerial....I like the Far East Land Forces transfer too.
    Thanks, I am finding out I have so much to learn in this area! An aerial would be great if you can spare it. The WS38 bits come up on eBay pretty regularly (albeit at a price) the WS88 bits seem a bit harder to find, but ironically cheaper when they do appear...

Wow, what a neat piece, I love that old technology!!!

Be careful in there of course, those cpacitors can keep a lethal charge if not properly discharged, which they probably are by now, but always be careful inside of radios, hi fi/guitar amps, etc.