Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cutlery Knives of the British Empire

Article about: The humble cutlery knife was a very mundane part of the British soldier's kit, but they are rarely seen on the collector's market today. a) Government of India - This crudely made knife is i

?

Default Cutlery Knives of the British Empire

The humble cutlery knife was a very mundane part of the British soldier's kit, but they are rarely seen on the collector's market today.

a) Government of India - This crudely made knife is in the Old English pattern and was made by UMW in 1944. Although the maker has not been deciphered, the "MW" is most likely "Metal Works"

The opposite side of the handle features a standard Indian Government acceptance mark in the form of a broad arrow surmounting the letter 'I' and flanked by a letter code on the left and a number code on the right.

b) Commonwealth of Australia - This knife has a separately attached handle and is noticeably shorter than the other variants. The blade features an engraved "D↑D" mark of the Department of Defence.

c) Great Britain - The style of knife was adopted in the interwar years and remained in service into the postwar era. It is marked with a broad arrow and dated 1939. The "D.R." stamp is still a mystery and has been seen on forks and spoons as well.

This particular knife was made by the famous silversmiths and cutlers, Walker & Hall, of Sheffield. It is made of stainless steel.

d) Dominion of Canada - This Canadian example is in the Old English pattern and features a large letter 'C', like most Canadian-made cutlery. It is also marked 'STAINLESS'.

As ever a fantastic post (love the Indian Knife). Just to add to it, here is my 1945 dated British made example. I have posted it elsewhere, but it seems appropriate to add the pictures to this thread for reference.
    Cutlery Knives of the British EmpireCutlery Knives of the British Empire

Great to see the knifes guys, not something I have yet and the 39 dated example is very rare as far as I am aware. I have both spoons and forks, but no knife, yet! Two of my spoons are by Walker & Hall.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Sorry for the rubbish photo, here are my Aussie knives, all post war I believe. The all have the rising sun etched on the blade (except one is stamped). The bottom two are Kings crown, the rest QC. The bottom four are stamped made in Sheffield by either Atkinson Bros or Paramount. I believe it was 1973 the rising sun was discontinued in favour of the Aussie Coat of Arms?

Oz.

?

Great collection Oz! I love the various styles of handles. The fancier ones must be mess knives...

?

Thank you Karkee. I suspect the three with the fancy handles could be officers mess knives and the rest either Sergeants Mess knives or OR's Mess knives.

Oz.

?

Sounds right to me!

A recent pick up of some 10th Ghurka marked regimental mess forks, six of one type-3 large and 3 medium- and one on its own a fish fork I think?

Makers marked -William Hutton & sons- makes them from between 1900 to 1930, though the badge design suggests a later date -1937 to 1950- so perhaps engraved on old stock items.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cutlery Knives of the British Empire   Cutlery Knives of the British Empire  

Cutlery Knives of the British Empire   Cutlery Knives of the British Empire  

Cutlery Knives of the British Empire   Cutlery Knives of the British Empire  

Regards,

Jerry

NAAFI Forks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cutlery Knives of the British Empire   Cutlery Knives of the British Empire  

Regards,

Jerry

?

That is some great cutlery Jerry! I really like the regimental crests!

I have a NAAFI table knife, but it is too long to fit in a washroll.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast