Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Different British medic bags

Article about: Hello gentlemen. Among the stuff I found last summer, it was a little collection of British medic bags from WW2. I have seen the “all canvas” bags before, but what is the variant with leathe

Default Re: Different British medic bags

Many items around '40/'41 were made of this canvas, as an emergency stop gap.The Mills Equipment Company was badly damaged by Bombing in Tottenham North London.An interesting side to this was that all webbing made prior to the raid , was pre-shrunk.The equipment used to do this was damaged beyond repair and so they no longer carried out the peocess.

ILH
    ?

Quote by phoenix View Post
    Many items around '40/'41 were made of this canvas, as an emergency stop gap.The Mills Equipment Company was badly damaged by Bombing in Tottenham North London.An interesting side to this was that all webbing made prior to the raid , was pre-shrunk.The equipment used to do this was damaged beyond repair and so they no longer carried out the process.
    Cheers Pheonix,
    I didn't know that. now that you mention it i realize i've seen the difference without knowing it.... a usefull, rule of thumb, dating technique, methinks.
    When exactly was the machinery kyboched?
    jim.

If only they'd done it to 58 pat!!!

Hi Jim,
    I'm not sure of the exact date, because it was in a book about their history that was lent to me. Mills Equipment, or MECO on webbing, had a few factories around North London and I believe that they all sustained damage at some time.I've seen other variations of canvas replacements, signals satchels is one that springs to mind.I asked a mate, if he thought they might be Home Guard and he very much doubts it, because at this early date in the war, they actually had very little equipment and having read a few local histories some did only have one item between 5 men,Pete.

?

Very interesting information Mr.Pheonix. “Ersatz” army bags sound a lot more nice then home guard I have seen hundreds of British medic bags in Norwegian army depots, but this thin canvas variant was new to me until last summer. If I understood right this type of field gear are not common in England either. Or is it?

Regards Arvid

Hi Arvid, these are not common in England. I had not seen them before and I have collected for over 30 years.

Cheers, Ade.

Hi Arvid,
    Ade is right, they are not common here.I wonder if they were given to Norway at the end of the war, as they were non standard, this seemed to happen with quite a lot of equipment.Unusual variations of kit, quite often turn up outside the UK and often unused,
    Pete.

?

Thanks a lot for the super fine informations guys.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2