Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Different British medic bags

Article about: Hello gentlemen. Among the stuff I found last summer, it was a little collection of British medic bags from WW2. I have seen the “all canvas” bags before, but what is the variant with leathe

?

Default Different British medic bags

Hello gentlemen. Among the stuff I found last summer, it was a little collection of British medic bags from WW2. I have seen the “all canvas” bags before, but what is the variant with leather straps? The canvas is a little bit thinner on this one, and in size is it a little bit bigger.
    One of the bags also has painted a white stripe on the left side of the body. What do this marking indicate? Hope you can answer my questions.

All the best from Arvid
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Different British medic bags   Different British medic bags  

Different British medic bags   Different British medic bags  

Default Re: Different British medic bags

Hi Arvid, I have never seen this style of bag before.

The white marking on the other conventional bag could just be a number 1 or a mark put there to identify the bag for some reason. Certainly not a regulation marking.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Very interesting Actually I found four of the bags with thin canvas, and none them have the same producer markings. Will post new pictures tomorrow.

I have seen the “white stripe” on other bags, but never found out what the purpose with it is. Thanks for reply Adrian

?

Here are the four medic bags made of thin canvas. Three of them have leather straps.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Different British medic bags   Different British medic bags  

?

The rest of the collection was in solid conventional canvas. Two of them have the white markings I asked about yesterday.

Best regards Arvid

Hi Arvid, thanks for showing the others. They do look good items.

Cheers, Ade.

ILH
    ?

could be home gaurd with the 40 and 41 dates, some of their other satchels and gasmasks bags were similar light canvas.
    jim.

?

Hi guys.

These are some pic's of my haversack.
    I was given it by my brother some years ago. He was still using it when he was in the army in the 1980's/90's. You can just make out the date 1943(?)

I ave also added some pics of the shell dressing and FFD that I have, with it.

?

Hi Arvid I'm with Jim on this one the lighter cotton twill bags look more like home front issue items, such as Home Guard the Red Cross and also the St Johns ambulance service. As I've seen pictures of similar bags being used by civil government workers and volunteers during the Blitz, as a means of providing immediate first aid to injured people who could not be move after being trapped by fail masonry during bombing raids.

Nige.
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "

?

Hello gentlemen. Thanks a lot for nice information I guess they produce a lot of equipment to the home guards, and after the war it was all mixed up with military gear and sent too allied forces.

Best regards Arvid

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast