Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Does Anyone Know About Stretchers?

Article about: Hi all. I have been trying to do some research on this stretcher. I suspect it is military, however I have not seen another like it so I am open to correction. There are no markings on it. I

Default Does Anyone Know About Stretchers?

Hi all. I have been trying to do some research on this stretcher. I suspect it is military, however I have not seen another like it so I am open to correction. There are no markings on it. It is made of thin wooden slats covered in canvas. At both ends there is a sturdy looking metal ring which to me suggests that it was designed to be lowered by rope (perhaps from a ship, or as part of mountain rescue or fire fighters kit?).

As you can see it is obviously designed to take up a minimum amount of space and their are 4 loops on each side for carrying as well as slots for poles to put threaded into.

Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Does Anyone Know About Stretchers?   Does Anyone Know About Stretchers?  

Does Anyone Know About Stretchers?   Does Anyone Know About Stretchers?  

Does Anyone Know About Stretchers?  

Hi James,

We had one very similar to this in the Mountain resue store up here. It was no longer in use having been superceeded by more modern kit. The stretcher could be wrapped tight arounf the casaullty and the wooden inserts kept them immobile.

Robin

Thanks for the info guys. Too bad it does not appear to be military, nevertheless, an interesting piece of kit

we had them on our ambulances well in to the 90s.kent ambulance service.

?

The only military application I can think of would be ship-to-ship transfer on a rope but don't know for sure.

Oz.

I have read that this type were used on ships as they were useful for hoisting casualties up from the lower decks through narrow hatches. Mine does not have any military markings on as I would expect however, so I am sure that it was not used for this purpose.