Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Does anyone know what this leather bucket is for......British and very old.

Article about: Hi Guys, Need help on identifying this container I have had for a while. It is crows foot marked on the bottom and 6-32,, with UK coat of arms on front It cant be a fire bucket as it is burl

?

Default Does anyone know what this leather bucket is for......British and very old.

Hi Guys, Need help on identifying this container I have had for a while. It is crows foot marked on the bottom and 6-32,, with UK coat of arms on front It cant be a fire bucket as it is burlap inside, is it for gunpowder. Obviously missing a strap and lid, and its around foot and a half tall. Has to date mid 1800s. Any ideas appreciated. Thanks !!Does anyone know what this leather bucket is for......British and very old.Does anyone know what this leather bucket is for......British and very old.Does anyone know what this leather bucket is for......British and very old.Does anyone know what this leather bucket is for......British and very old.

?

It's a cut down leather artillery shell carrier. These were made into WWII and I have seen many with dates in the 1940s.

I guess a lot of these surplus carriers were cut down and spruced up with a decorative coat of arms. I'm not really sure why they did this, but I did read somewhere that they were sold as waste baskets...

?

I'm not certain, but I think the "R/|\L" denotes Royal Laboratories in Woolwich, London and the "6-32" denotes the a manufacture date of June 1932...Just a guess

You are correct in your ID.

Several of these have come through the auction house where I work part time in the past few months.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Funny, I thought these were Naval charge bags on older ships.

You always learn!!!

Dean

A really cool item that has mostly been ruined by the pimping.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Thanks for letting me know guys, I knew some one would know what it was .!!