Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

FAKE! Commonly encountered fake markings on British webbing...

Article about: Hi guys, I wasn't sure if I should post this thread on spotting fake webbing markings on eBay and possibly aid the counterfeiter (potentially a member of Warrelics) in his technique, but I t

?

No René, those came from eBay listings. Lol

?

Here's another recent fake marking shown on a repro sling. Note how the stamps are becoming more accurate, perhaps I need to delete this thread...

?

Here's another common problem which involves the removing/obscuring the date to make webbing more desirable.

The first example shows a medical bag with its 1950s date blacked out and a fake 1942 date added. 1950s webbing will often have stock numbers which can help with identification.

FAKE! Commonly encountered fake markings on British webbing...FAKE! Commonly encountered fake markings on British webbing...

This second example is really a shame. It's a set of Pattern 1908 webbing that has components that were made c1937-40, but these dates have been blacked out and rubbed off so that the set could be sold as WWI vintage. Personally, I think late production P08 webbing is quite interesting in its own right!

FAKE! Commonly encountered fake markings on British webbing...FAKE! Commonly encountered fake markings on British webbing...

?

A common style of fake WWI MECO markings, usually on canvas goods...

I was at a boot sale about two months ago in the Midlands, when I saw several of the Italian made three pocket charger pouches that had Fiochi marked snaps, and "1942 /l\" added in quite recent looking ink.

?

Yeah, those were pretty common on eBay too a few years back. To confuse matter, there were wartime Indian-made pouches in that same configuration...still looking for a set, actually.

I also have two Enfield slings I ought to post on here, they are most assuredly original slings but have far more recent ink stampings applied. Seemed kind of pointless to go to that trouble when I only paid $7 apiece for them...

?

You should post pictures mate, that's what this thread is for!

?

Here's another obvious fake set of markings on a set of brace adapters...

Quote by karkee View Post
    Here's another common problem which involves the removing/obscuring the date to make webbing more desirable.

The first example shows a medical bag with its 1950s date blacked out and a fake 1942 date added. 1950s webbing will often have stock numbers which can help with identification.

This second example is really a shame. It's a set of Pattern 1908 webbing that has components that were made c1937-40, but these dates have been blacked out and rubbed off so that the set could be sold as WWI vintage. Personally, I think late production P08 webbing is quite interesting in its own right!

Those slings...I was looking at those. I *thought* something was fishy about those.
    That '08 webbing though...you'd have to be blind to miss the deliberate removal of the dates.
    I think I'm fortunate to live in the States as far as webbing collecting goes. Most folks here consider Brit webbing much less desirable than U.S. Most just look at in bewilderment

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast