Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Family heirloom Naval telescope ?

Article about: Im starting to look into my family's Military/naval history and i was Just wondering if anybody could tell me anything about this telescope. The most I can tell you from what my father has t

Default Family heirloom Naval telescope ?

Im starting to look into my family's Military/naval history and i was Just wondering if anybody could tell me anything about this telescope. The most I can tell you from what my father has told me is that it was given to my great grandfather when he was in the home guard on the Isle of Wight. Apparently they would use it to watch for German bombers from Nighton radio station as he was a radio operator there. However we also think it could be from my great great grandfather from when he served on the H.M.S Hood before the war. Or yet another connection I thought might be is that it could be from his father that served in the royal Artillery in the First World War but I doubt it is an artillery telescope.

From what I can tell it looks to be a naval telescope. It has some markings but they have been rubbed away over time and I cannot make a lot of them out. However I could make out the manufacturer which is Cox Devonport.

I can provided pictures of my relatives as well if it helps

Family heirloom Naval telescope ?Family heirloom Naval telescope ?Family heirloom Naval telescope ?Family heirloom Naval telescope ?Family heirloom Naval telescope ?Family heirloom Naval telescope ?Family heirloom Naval telescope ?Family heirloom Naval telescope ?Family heirloom Naval telescope ?

Default Re: Family heirloom Naval telescope ?

thats a nice item to have,I would say it was a naval one.look after it.

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

Not a subject I know much about, but I would go for the Naval option. I would say this has a fair bit of age to it. I would guess it was made in the 1800's. Nice item and a great bit of family history.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

I agree with Royal Navy. It's marked Devonport which is the naval base at Plymouth.

?

A beautiful piece.