Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Find in the parents shed...

Article about: I was having a look around mum and dads shed, since theres been some odds and ends of WW2 related stuff that belonged to my grandfather found there lately. I found this... They said it was h

BTF
    ?

Default Find in the parents shed...

I was having a look around mum and dads shed, since theres been some odds and ends of WW2 related stuff that belonged to my grandfather found there lately. I found this...

They said it was here on the property when they first bought the house. Seems to be a WW1/2 entrenching tool head and remains of the helve. No stamps or markings.

?

Awesome find BTF! I've heard vinegar takes rust off really well if you leave it soaking a day or two. I've seen the rust just wipe off! Maybe it will reveal a maker's mark...

Nice find! Certainly uncommon if dated back to WWI era. Shame about the condition.

What makes you think military related? Could just be plain old civilian horticulture implement.

I don't think this is military either, sorry.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Well it does look a lot like a British entrenching tool head to me. The remains of shaft don't look right though.

Here are a couple of Brit e tools. Compare.

Does it have the hole through the head? I cannot see this on your photo.

As Douglas has said, the shaft does not look correct.

Cheers, Ade.
    Attached Images Attached Images Find in the parents shed... 
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

I didn't realize the sirhind tool was produced for the civilian market, considering that there was a surplus of military ones (especially after the army declared them obsolete) and that they were pretty unpopular with the troops as digging tools.

imo it is a entrenching tool,the shafts tend to break when old,I have 2 like that.

NCA
    ?

It looks similar to the entrenching tool, but to me looks a lot bigger?How long is it and how big is the eye?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast