Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Find in the parents shed...

Article about: I was having a look around mum and dads shed, since theres been some odds and ends of WW2 related stuff that belonged to my grandfather found there lately. I found this... They said it was h

?

Quote by NCA View Post
    It looks similar to the entrenching tool, but to me looks a lot bigger?How long is it and how big is the eye?
    Good question! Dimensions would be helpful.

BTF
    ?

Last night I separated the hold handle-end from the head, hope that helps with ID.

It could be a horticultural tool, but it seems they directly copied a Military entrenching tool to make it if thats the case. I agree, the medal handle end is likely not original to the head. Looks nothing like the typical military helve ends.

I have several of these in my collection and to me it is certainly a British entrenching tool head. I am not able to compare the measurements at the moment but the appearance and general size is correct.

I agree with Douglas. It certainly looks to be an entrenching mattock, albeit it in extremely worn and rusted condition. The wood was, apparently, beginning to loosen at one time, so someone years ago tried driving a large nail into it to expand it. Unfortunately, it eventually looks to have caused it to break off. As it sits, it really is just a curio rather than a collectable item, but interesting, in any case. Put a horrendous amount of wear and corrosion on the tool heads in post #7 and this is it.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Much better pics. This is the type of photo we always need.

It is good.

The shaft was incorrect.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Next question is will you keep it in relic condition (it would look good with other relics) or will you try and remove the rust? I have cleaned these up using the wire-brush wheel on my bench top grinder with good results, but they were not quite this pitted.

Oz.

I think that I would keep it as-is. With the depth of the corrosion, it would look awful with all of it removed. As it sits, it would fit in nicely with a WWI relic display!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Quote by Ubique View Post
    Next question is will you keep it in relic condition (it would look good with other relics) or will you try and remove the rust? I have cleaned these up using the wire-brush wheel on my bench top grinder with good results, but they were not quite this pitted.

Oz.
    Vinegar is the way to go!! The rust will just wipe off after soaking it!

?

You must have some very potent vinegar in your neck of the woods karkee! :-)

?

Totally! Lol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast