MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

folding saw

Article about: Hi, I'm new here. I was wondering if anyone could help me identify a folding two man saw kit that I found in my sisters shed. I have seen a reference to this kit belonging to a Churchill Tan

?

Default folding saw

Hi, I'm new here. I was wondering if anyone could help me identify a folding two man saw kit that I found in my sisters shed. I have seen a reference to this kit belonging to a Churchill Tank, but my kit has a canvas pouch, not a leather one. The kit is complete with four half-handles, two file handles, file and teeth setting tool. It is a bit grubby, but I don't think it's ever been used in anger. I am loathe to clean it too much as I suspect it is still covered in its original grease/wax. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and next question is...what should i do with it?
    If it is rare (which I doubt) should I give it to a museum (IWM), and if not, does anyone want it?
    Many thanks.

mpw
    ?

Default Re: folding saw

Hello and welcome. Your folding saw sounds really interesting. Any chance of a photo?

Mark.

?

[IMG][/IMG]

As far as I can make out, the ends of the saw are stamped FRANCIS WOOD & SONS on one end, and /2169 on the other, with what looks like the war department, "finished view mark?" arrowhead(no WD underneath) followed by possibly, 44.
    The file is stamped with an elephant.

The pouch is canvas with a metal clip on the back
    Last edited by onebdi; 03-15-2012 at 12:38 PM.

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

Have a look here for some more info:

British WW2 Folding Saw

These saws were an old design and I think actually date from the Great War originally?

Donating to a museum, while I commend your sentiments, would not be really worthwhile. Few items go on actual display and many are simply sold off.

The pouch on yours in post WW2. These things had a long service life. It was a good bit of kit.

I would be happy to own one.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Thanks for the information. I have been really surprised by how little information there is on the interweb about this item. As soon as I can be sure of it's history, I will decide best what to do with it. I'd hate it to disappear into a storage room somewhere, as I think it's a great example of simple British ingenuity, and it deserves to be seen and recognised.

Additional note: I am unable to trace it's history before my sisters shed, as it apparently belonged to her ex-husband, and, to avoid WW3, I am, so, not going there, thank you very much!