Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

found on beach near Dunkirk

Article about: I found this gas mask sticking out of the sand at low tide. I originally thought it was some old scuba gear – neoprene or something. But as I pulled, my heart leaped with the possibility of

I personally like the resin-encasement idea, this item being so fragile and susceptible to deterioration. I think it's really cool that the fork, clams, and other remnants are there, as it adds a lot to the personality of the item and tells a (somewhat grim) story. I think if all those things are removed, there won't be much setting it apart from a ground-dug item. Just my 2¢

I'm not experienced in preservation, so I'd say just do whatever you think is best for preserving both the item and it's "personality."

John

Quote by HistoryMan View Post
    Nice find ! I walked the entire beach last May during the 75th Anniversary and didn't see a thing !!

Where on the beach was it found ?

Cheers
    It was low tide, south (or west) of Bray Dunes. :-)

Quote by Lynn328d View Post
    It was low tide, south (or west) of Bray Dunes. :-)
    Nice one

Would have been near to the wrecks of the Crested Eagle and the Devonia. Hundreds of Tommies sadly perished in this area

Quote by HistoryMan View Post
    Nice one

Would have been near to the wrecks of the Crested Eagle and the Devonia. Hundreds of Tommies sadly perished in this area
    I know. This whole experience has been surreal. I was outside of the bouy markers for the wrecks, if that makes it a little more ok. It all happened so unexpectedly.
    Rest assured,I'm not some tourist who just "found something neat" on the beach. I actually have a degree in history with an emphasis in WWII - although the focus was on the Pacific Campaign. This item is revered and will always be treated with the respect it deserves. If I could do it all over again, I would have just taken pictures and let the tide cover it again. But then - someone else might have come along "treasure hunting" for profit or something. One just never knows.
    We spent out holiday visiting Dunkirk and Ypres, Flanders, etc. I am very aware of the British blood spilt on this tragic area of the world. I hope this helps any put to rest any qualms you may have over my find.
    KInd regards,

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2