Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Garden shed find Medic

Article about: Found this in a garden shed. Not my field of collecting but its 1943.

Default Garden shed find Medic

Found this in a garden shed.
    Not my field of collecting but its 1943.
    Garden shed find MedicGarden shed find Medic

Nice find

Believe it or not but we were still using these, in vehicles, on the ranges etc until the late '80s and maybe later I can't be certain. I still have one somewhere dated 1944 and in mint condition which I can personally attest was in field use.
    I think this may be one of those given the apparent condition.

Just shows that there is interesting stuff still knocking about where you would not expect it!

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Thanks! Does anybody know what the "BR" marking signifies?

Also found a dark blue tommy helmet with "KBB" and "RU" markings and 2 red stripes

Quote by Hellraiser View Post
    Thanks! Does anybody know what the "BR" marking signifies?

Also found a dark blue tommy helmet with "KBB" and "RU" markings and 2 red stripes
    More than likely a "callsign" indication of the sub-unit to which it belongs. It could also be an abbreviation of the unit or formation for example "Brigade Rear" (as opposed to Brigade Main etc) being part of a large formation. As such the marking would have no relevance beyond this. It cannot be used to identify a specific unit which is an aspect of operational security within the army as a whole. Really it should just be seen as a kind of "possession mark" for internal admin purposes. Similar types of mark might be; A Sect (section), 2 Pl (platoon), C Coy (company) or an actual callsign eg 11B etc. Much the same as any army really.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 04-23-2019 at 09:51 AM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Thanks Mark!

Very nice 1937 Pattern haversack, or 'small pack'. Not a terribly common thing to find the medic used examples.

Does it have a pocket with a pressed stud on the inside of the flap ? Could you provide a picture of the pocket and what was it for? Scissors like on some the US First Aid kits ?

I have not seen one like that before.

Well, I have to go back this week to finish his lawn mower and can take some extra pictures.
    What do you think would be a fair price? Maybe I can arrange something with
    my working hours

pics of the helmet would be good....

Happy St. Georges day too!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast