Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Gas mask asbestos risk?

Article about: Picked up a WW2 British gas mask at local market today. Novice to this market, & probably paid over the odds for it at £10, but thought it reasonable for a piece of history. However on c

Default Gas mask asbestos risk?

Picked up a WW2 British gas mask at local market today. Novice to this market, & probably paid over the odds for it at £10, but thought it reasonable for a piece of history. However on checking it out on the internet it seems that there is a risk of asbestos in the filters. Mask is dated 28/11/39 and photos attached, some tape around filter. Currently bagged up but wondering whether to get shot - £10 & piece of history down the bin, but small price to pay compared to potential health issues with asbestos. Advice from other owners/collectors appreciated.Gas mask asbestos risk?Gas mask asbestos risk?

I've heard of people filling the filter with polyester resin or PVA glue!...

Welcome to the Forum! Indeed, I don't recommend breathing through these old filters...
    Not something I'd give the kids to play with...
    cheers, Glenn

I guess handling is not to be recommended either? Think the bin it is unfortunately

Hello and welcome to the forum!
    If you would like to keep it, I would suggest gently removing the filter and sealing it in a zip-loc bag. It can be kept separately.
    Ralph.
    Be sure to wash your hands afterwards.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Hi there, yes I filled mine with PVA adhesive. I have 2 of the German type and 3, one RAF and 2 British army type all made safe with PVA to be on the safe side.

How do you apply PVA to filter,open it up or through holes on front? Sorry complete novice

Quote by barmingad View Post
    How do you apply PVA to filter,open it up or through holes on front? Sorry complete novice
    All I did was, with the German one took the screw cap off and poured the liquid through the hole. For the British type just soaked the container in a bowl of PVA solution making sure it is completely full, left for about half an hour then allowed to drain. Cleaned off the PVA from the outside so it did not look glossy. This was all done outside and with a suitable mask on.

As far as i know the asbestos layer is around the middle, so unless the filter is rusty or thrown around and damaged there is a very low risk of the asbestos coming out.

But still this is why i got rid of my masks since i like to handle them often.

Hi there, I'm not sure if you can get replica filter cases. I've got a cold war Soviet gas mask & I was told that they're available. Whether your type is the same, I don't know. Everything seems to be available if you "Google ". Stewy

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast