Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Haversacks contents for the century?

Article about: Hi everybody I am still kind of knew on what to pack in an American us army haversack for ww2 and korea. And is it still the same for vietnam and ww1? I already have: white 2 undershirts OD

Default Haversacks contents for the century?

Hi everybody I am still kind of knew on what to pack in an American us army haversack for ww2 and korea. And is it still the same for vietnam and ww1? I already have:

white 2 undershirts
    OD 2 socks
    sewing kit
    flashlight
    trouser belt
    Mess tin w/ utensils
    poncho
    hbt hat
    personal items (like a lighter, cards, pics....)
    shelter half

I am purchasing:

Jeep cap
    repro rations
    hygene kit
    wool blanket
    OD underwear

I have a few questions also:
    How many pairs of underclothes did they carry?
    How much rations did they carry?
    Are all haversack contents the same through all wars?
    What else do I need?
    Should i remove anything?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

thanks,
    Michael

Default Re: Haversacks contents for the century?

You are pretty much on the right track for a WWII pack. Soldiers would carry as many underware as they viewed necessary so that is up to you. The only underware you see or hear about having more carried is usually socks and generally at least 3 pair (one on, one drying, and one dry in the pack)
    Soldiers generally carried as many rations as they could get in the field without being overloaded, but were aloted a set amount for a set amount of time, whether sufficient or not is another story.

The m1928 haversack is primarily a WWII pack, for WWI you will need a m1910 haversack. For korea most haversacks were phased out and the m1945 pack was adapted, but some haversacks made it in. The haversacks that were used in the Korean war were mostly re-dyed in OD7 (dark green) instead of their WWII OD3 color (khaki). As for vietnam I know they used another completely different pack which you can look up or someone else will inform you.

You might want to add wood tent pegs and poles to your shelter half / pack as well. (you would carry half the amount and share with another soldier)

Thanks thats a lot of help I wasnt completly sure about the things I have read on the internet. I also dont know where i can get ww2 wooden tent pegs?

thanks,
    Michael

Your welcome, most sites do not have a large compiled overview of such equipment. I had a friend make my pegs on a lathe from the design of an original. If you frequent ebay they can sometimes be found their for a reasonable price.

Thanks are button snap closure shelter halfs correct for a korean war impression? Or are the hbt buttons shelter halfs better?

Depends when, early or later, and for static display or reenacting? Button types were made early on, but later on the snaps were implemented Im not exactly sure when they changed.

It is for a navy living history event. I know navy personell who landed on shore with marines had m1928 haversacks so wasnt shure what shelter to use.

Thanks
    Michael

?

Quote by Snake Master View Post
    Hi everybody I am still kind of knew on what to pack in an American us army haversack for ww2 and korea. And is it still the same for vietnam and ww1? I already have:

white 2 undershirts
    OD 2 socks
    sewing kit
    flashlight
    trouser belt
    Mess tin w/ utensils
    poncho
    hbt hat
    personal items (like a lighter, cards, pics....)
    shelter half

I am purchasing:

Jeep cap
    repro rations
    hygene kit
    wool blanket
    OD underwear

I have a few questions also:
    How many pairs of underclothes did they carry?
    How much rations did they carry?
    Are all haversack contents the same through all wars?
    What else do I need?
    Should i remove anything?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

thanks,
    Michael
    Don't forget the skid marks in the skivies. After your first artillery or rocket barrage you WILL have them.