Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Help cleaning british gas mask

Article about: Hi, i got this mask today, its from 1942 and i want to clean it, how should i do it, what materials to use?Help me out on this. Best regards Nuno

Default Re: Help cleaning british gas mask

Unfortunately the huge black spot on the "Indy bag" was made by oil, by its previous owner, now beeing impossible to remove, makes me quite sad
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help cleaning british gas mask  
    Last edited by António Fragoeiro; 04-25-2010 at 01:20 PM.

Here`s how the items look right now after a good cleaning, and i have to say they do smell a lot better than did before. The "Indy bag" was manufactured by M&Cº in 1942.
    Best regards
    Nuno
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help cleaning british gas mask  

You've done a great job cleaning them well done

Thanks

Danny

well done,,,your hard work has certainly paid off

Great Job, they cleand up nicely.
    Just make sure you resist the temptation to put the mask on, they used blue aspestos in filters back in those days.

Cheers-

Darren

Quote by Darren Lillington View Post
    Great Job, they cleand up nicely.
    Just make sure you resist the temptation to put the mask on, they used blue aspestos in filters back in those days.

Cheers-

Darren
    Actually you just reminded me about mentioning the asbestos used in the filters. There is a few methods that can be used to make it more safe to have on display, the most simple being to pour super-glue into the openings on the side of the filter cannister until the openings are almost completely filled up, there isnt much need to worry about the top of the filter (where it connects to the hose) as there is a small disk valve which would only operate if someone was to wear that mask and breath. Hopefully this helps

Thanks

Danny

Hi, thanks for all support guys, im definitely not going to wear the mask, but about the asbestos in the filter, that worried me a bit, since i dont have any super glue here with me, what else can use? i gave a look in the garage and all i could find was silicone, duct tape, glue for wood, stuff like that.

Anything that will block the two slots would do, using super-glue is a permanent solution and it doesnt change the appearance of the mask so it would be good for display, I'm guessing that you have read the display techniques mentioned in the other thread?

Thanks

Danny

Quote by GasMasksUK View Post
    Anything that will block the two slots would do, using super-glue is a permanent solution and it doesnt change the appearance of the mask so it would be good for display, I'm guessing that you have read the display techniques mentioned in the other thread?

Thanks

Danny
    I did, it was a very helpfull information, in a while il start on the slots of the filter, but about a proper manequin head, that will take a while, ill be looking at every flea market for that.

Best regards
    Nuno

by the end of the day i finished filling the air vents with some transparent silicone, this is how it looks now

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast