Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

help identifying a British canteen

Article about: Hi there, I came across this supposedly original WW2 British Canteen and was wondering if anyone could help me in identifying if it is indeed original or in fact a copy. The seller has no in

It is not unusual to find them in very good condition and is quite common to have blue over-painted in green (I have two). It is the months that do most damage if not stored correctly and woodworm to the cork is also something to look out for.

They shouldn't be too expensive as they are quite common. I think they are both Home Guard . Leather is early issue with webbing later.

The ww2 bottles and covers shewn are the same as army issue it is the sleeves or 'skeleton carriers' that vary as they are designed to fit on the 37 pattern webbing for the army.

Both bottles are good. As already said they are common to find (although examples with a nice cover are getting a bit scarcer) and so are original army-type carriers of several models if you want to swap.

ILH
    ?

The canvas cradle could be post ww2 (I have a 1952 dated example, with the narrow strap).
    The leather cradle is anywhere from 1903 - 1940s. (Leather should be stamped somewhere).

Was probably the first bit of militaria I ever had as a snotty nosed kid of 6, a wartime green canteen. Bought in a surplus store for the grand sum of 15 decimal pence!

thank you , you mentioned that you had two canisters. what type of straps did they have?

thanks for the reply, i have emailed the seller asking him to check this. Might sound weird but id love to own a genuine ww2 piece of equipment

Quote by Jamescusack View Post
    thank you , you mentioned that you had two canisters. what type of straps did they have?
    Originally the bottles didn't have straps since they were supposed to be worn either in the pack or attached to the ends of the shoulder braces, but of course lots of troops wore them the most practical way, with an extra P37 brace.

?

The bottom leather carrier has had its leather strap cut off at some stage so not worth a lot in this condition.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2