Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help identifying water canteen

Article about: Hi guys, picked this up today at a boot sale, can't work out what era it's from as it has no markings. Only paid 80p for it so I won't be too let down if it's not anything great! Any help ap

Default Help identifying water canteen

Hi guys, picked this up today at a boot sale, can't work out what era it's from as it has no markings.

Only paid 80p for it so I won't be too let down if it's not anything great!

Any help appreciated!

Thanks,
    John

Help identifying water canteen

?

Default Re: Help identifying water canteen

John,

Strange that there are no markings on the canteen. Hace you looked inside thge cap?

From the photo, I would say that you have a US issued canteen. The metal cap would indicate WW I issue, WW II issued US canteens generally had plastic caps, though it was not uncommon for WW I issued pieces to be re-issued in WW II.

Hope this helps,

Gary

?

There should be a mark in the middle towards the bottom on the "front". Maybe GMC? It may have faded, have a careful look. I agree it looks American WW1.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

ah that's cool, didn't expect WW! Can't seem to find this GMC but i have the loop out and i'll keep on...

Hi guys, after some more research it would seem you are right, it is a world war 1 U.S canteen. The M1910 canteen.

The reason it hasn't got any markings is because these types of canteen didnt have markings until 1918, which dates this one at around 1914.

You can read more here:

DOUGHBOYS: World War I-Canteens, Cups, and Covers

?

Congrats. Not bad for 80p.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

US canteen marking can be whore off. seen these on few, however you can see trace like part of a word or date. (i only have canteens with full markings)

I bought something like that for 5 bucks and it came with a cover and the canteen. but mine said "JAPAN" I was suspicios so I looked it up and found out that after the war japan made look alike american canteens to sell to tourist. I now use it for reenactment gear because it isnt supposed to be worth much. Mine also had a black cap so I dont think we have the same canteen.