Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help with US canteen covers

Article about: Hello, I have these two covers. Two questions. I believe the khaki covered one is a M1910 pattern cover, but is it authentic? It look good to me but I know there are repros about. The second

Default Help with US canteen covers

Hello, I have these two covers. Two questions. I believe the khaki covered one is a M1910 pattern cover, but is it authentic? It look good to me but I know there are repros about. The second green cover is unidentified, and unmarked. Its not in my WW2 or Vietnam reference books, none of which feature press stud closing or the side mounted belt attachment. Many thanks, Douglas
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with US canteen covers   Help with US canteen covers  

Default Re: Help with US canteen covers

Douglas I think that the left one is OK and in a pretty good condition.Sadly I can't judge the green one!

?

Looks ok. Other looks like it is missing the correct belt attachments for a 'Nam era cover. Rich A. in Pa.
    1969 Shelby GT-500 King of the Road
    Knowledge is power, guard it well.

Thanks for your comments. rra227 are you saying that the green one is a nam period cover that has had the belt attachments altered?

I am generally confused about my US canteens and would appreciate further help. I will post each one individually.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with US canteen covers  

First up is an unmarked canteen allegedly taken from an Iraqi soldier in 2003. It is unmarked and has a field made case with desert sand in it, so I think it is likely to be Iraqi. Is this a US canteen, or a copy?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with US canteen covers   Help with US canteen covers  

Help with US canteen covers   Help with US canteen covers  

Second is a 1910 pattern canteen with case. Is the bottle authentic? It is unmarked. I understand it should have a cup with it, but the cover is only just big enough for the bottle and you would struggle to fit a cup in there as well. How can this be?

Third is this 44 dated bottle with a 45 dated cup. Presumably these are authentic, but which pattern of canteen is this, and does the cup, bottle and cover match? Many thanks, Douglas

Quote by douglas2496 View Post
    First up is an unmarked canteen allegedly taken from an Iraqi soldier in 2003. It is unmarked and has a field made case with desert sand in it, so I think it is likely to be Iraqi. Is this a US canteen, or a copy?
    No idea on this one. The cap is goofy and I am positive that it was not produced in the United States.

Second is a 1910 pattern canteen with case. Is the bottle authentic? It is unmarked. I understand it should have a cup with it, but the cover is only just big enough for the bottle and you would struggle to fit a cup in there as well. How can this be?
    This one is original. Look on the bottom or on the lower back of the canteen for a date and maker mark. Believe it or not, the cups DO fit. They are a hassle to get back out again, but these covers do indeed hold a cup as well.

Third is this 44 dated bottle with a 45 dated cup. Presumably these are authentic, but which pattern of canteen is this, and does the cup, bottle and cover match? Many thanks, Douglas
    I think the cover on this one is Korean War-era, but I'm not entirely sure. I am certain that the cover is not from WWII.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast