Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Hms hood stretcher ??

Article about: ...ASKING ANYONE IN THE KNOW IF THIS SEEMS REAL OR NOT.....IS THIS A REAL HMS HOOD STRETCHER...??......I KNOW IT WAS SUNK IN WW2 SO HOW COULD ANY STUFF SURVIVE??.....

Default Hms hood stretcher ??

...ASKING ANYONE IN THE KNOW IF THIS SEEMS REAL OR NOT.....IS THIS A REAL HMS HOOD STRETCHER...??......I KNOW IT WAS SUNK IN WW2 SO HOW COULD ANY STUFF SURVIVE??.....
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Hms hood stretcher ??   Hms hood stretcher ??  

Hms hood stretcher ??   Hms hood stretcher ??  

Hms hood stretcher ??   Hms hood stretcher ??  

Hms hood stretcher ??  

Default Re: Hms hood stretcher ??

1: It could have been that it was never used and therefore was never on the boat.
    2: It could have been on the boat and saved when it sunk.
    3. It could just be stamped Post-war.

Your guess is as good as mine.
    Best Regards

Vegard T.
    -------------------------------
    Looking for militaria from HKB 31./977, HKB 32./977, HKB 38./977 or militaria related to Norway

......well im not sure either mate....came from some guys collection called DAVID BOYD.....there is a signal flag too and a hammock....seems strange that these survived while everything was lost....yes and how could you be sure anyway......this is probably another "IF IT SEEMS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT PROBABLY IS".......il have to stop my one off militaria compulsions on stuff ive no idea about....lol....I MIGHT CONTACT THE ACTUAL SITE OF HMS HOOD AND ASK THE ACTUAL PEOPLE....

?

Where are you finding this stuff mate????

its possible it was picked up after she was sunk but as their was only 3 survivors and the area was in german control after her sinking i dont know seems too good to be true hope im wrong though itd make for one historic piece

?

I would think it unlikely that it was picked up after Hood was sunk , there would be little reason to stop other than to get the few survivors picked up , after that rejoining the shadowing units and the keeping up with the German Squadron would have been the priority.

If this is Hood related it is more likely that it came out of stores , would be nice if it is related to Hood. ( Hope so).

Hello mate,

The medical hammock shown is original to HMS Hood, it was just not issued to her on the voyage on which she sank, and may never had been. The Admiralty had a massive clean out of their stores in 1948, all of which was done by sealed bid. The paperwork you have corresponds to this and is from others i have seen original.

A 'gentleman' on another forum recently put up one of Hoods battle ensigns for sale. This had little or no wear whatsoever, and was purchased back in '48 by the same company as yours. It's huge size alone limits it's value, and the fact that it was not issued, same as your hammock, limits it's value to what someone is prepared to pay for it.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.