Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Identification, bit of fun.

Article about: Here are some pics that are a little unusual. I would like to see if anyone can identify what they are/were and a correct answer will get a £50 donation made to WRF and a location of where t

Default Identification, bit of fun.

Here are some pics that are a little unusual. I would like to see if anyone can identify what they are/were and a correct answer will get a £50 donation made to WRF and a location of where they were found increases it to £100. More clues later if needed. Christmas is coming, so please let me know your opinions. Thanks. Francis.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Identification, bit of fun.   Identification, bit of fun.  

Identification, bit of fun.   Identification, bit of fun.  

It reminds me of molten metal when poured into water. Taking into context the that this is a military history based forum and so it must be linked I assume, I'll take a recklessly wild stab (it's the way I roll) at it coming from the sinking of a Naval ship, perhaps linked to Tirpitz or Pearl Harbor??

C'mon.....Show me da mon-ney!!!
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Ned has got it right with the molten metal on to water but I see brass and copper in there so I am going to plump for the ROF in Swynnerton

Doug

...The dosh has got to be mine!

Quote by Saladin View Post
    Ned has got it right with the molten metal on to water but I see brass and copper in there so I am going to plump for the ROF in Swynnerton

Doug

...The dosh has got to be mine!
    Just noticed that Francis has posted exploded ordnance elsewhere on the forum, though from France. Still, I like your thinking Douglas!!
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    Just noticed that Francis has posted exploded ordnance elsewhere on the forum, though from France. Still, I like your thinking Douglas!!
    Well done Ned,
    I think we have the £100 donation to the forum.

So in my experience when cordite is burned it burns with a slow but intense heat (we used to use it on our camp fires as an accelerant)
    The brass and copper I see will be from the brass shell casing and the copper drive bands.
    It looks as though there may be a bit of steel in there somewhere.
    My assumption will be that the rounds were destroyed in an ammo fire in the South of France.

Are you paying up Francis???

Quote by Saladin View Post
    Well done Ned,
    I think we have the £100 donation to the forum.

So in my experience when cordite is burned it burns with a slow but intense heat (we used to use it on our camp fires as an accelerant)
    The brass and copper I see will be from the brass shell casing and the copper drive bands.
    It looks as though there may be a bit of steel in there somewhere.
    My assumption will be that the rounds were destroyed in an ammo fire in the South of France.

Are you paying up Francis???
    With the unprecedented sums at stake here, I think it may not be quite that easy......

Hi chaps.... :-) I like your comments. Looks like I better get bready to dig deep on the financial front. I don't mind the collusion but as was pointed out by Big Ned 'maybe not that easy' a bit more precision/detail would be impressive. Maybe you 'Boys' need another pointer. Watch this space, bit busy at moment but will get back on tomorrow with luck. Thanks again. Francis.

Identification, bit of fun.Identification, bit of fun.Identification, bit of fun.Hi :-) Really sorry for the delay, hope you had nice weekend and have your thinking caps on. Here are a couple more shots that should help in identifying what they were originally. To be honest, I think location will be sticky. Unless anyone else out there has found similar. ............... ? Anyone have a rough idea what £100 Sterling is in $ US? Or is it maybe only going to be the £50? Come on Chaps. Maybe these pictures will help. Kind Regards. Francis

Hi, just so that no-one thinks I have reneged on my offer.......I will be away for 2 weeks, to hopefully excavate a buried static flamethrower. On my return, (all being well) I will see if there are any more details or ideas regarding metal lumps and then, as promised, make a donation. Kind regards and thank you for your interest. Francis

Default another angle,

Identification, bit of fun.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast