Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Identify these Sunglasses

Article about: Hello All, sorry if I have this in the wrong section I found these sunglasses in an old shotgun shell ammo box with an embroidered handkerchief with the British Flag, the American flag and L

Dstan12
    ?

Default Identify these Sunglasses

Hello All, sorry if I have this in the wrong section I found these sunglasses in an old shotgun shell ammo box with an embroidered handkerchief with the British Flag, the American flag and Lady Liberty that says "A souvenir from the World War" I cannot find any information about these anywhere, any help is appreciated. They have one mark on the right ear stem hinge which is two vertical lines then a square standing on its corner (like a diamond but definitely square shaped) then followed by two more vertical lines. If this is in the wrong section please direct me to the correct section, thanks all.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Identify these Sunglasses   Identify these Sunglasses  

Identify these Sunglasses  
    Last edited by Dstan12; 04-23-2010 at 08:42 PM.

Default Re: Identify these Sunglasses

Hi Dstan, I don't have any experience in the area of sunglasses, but I've never seen photos of anyone wearing glasses shaped like that during WWII era. Almost everybody wore the Ray-Ban or Ray-Ban aviator knockoffs. The shape of those lenses I think are post war. IMO, somebody must have just thrown them in the same box with the flags.

Jay

Dstan12
    ?

Thanks for replying sitges1990 but look at the second photo on this link, I believe these may be World War1 glasses, I dont believe the second photo is the exact glasses but the shape is familiar,

More WW1 goggles

also a Brian Adam in Netherland is making these, if you scroll down on this link you can see that he says these are USAF WW2 replicas, I have been trying to contact him, have not had a contact back yet

Brian Adam jewellery and eyeglasses endorsements

Hi, Dstan !

These are not 'sunglasses' actually, but WWII flying goggles.
    The type shown in the link from WWI era have leather
    surrounding the lenses.

Can't remember the model number of yours,
    and I have no reference material at hand
    at the moment.

Regards, Steve.

Dstan12
    ?

Wow, thanks Steve, if you could find out somehow for me what model that would be greatly appreciated, thanks again,

David

Well, those definitely look like the pair you have. I think the WWI vintage glasses are much thicker framed. Are yours hinged in the middle or solid? I'm shocked the lense shape matches. I have not seen that before. It says that the lenses like yours are British made. It will be interesting to see what you find out. Well, Steve answered before I got this typed. Now you have a better answer.

Take care,
    Jay

Dstan12
    ?

No problem Sitges I appreciate your help also if you can hunt anything up it would also be greatly appreciated, they are hinged in the middle, although I would not exactly call it a hinge, but they are flexible in the middle, not much but flexible all the same.

Here they are...............

From a great book by Jon Maguire called 'Gear Up!'........They are properly named:

"Goggle Assembly - Flying, Type D-1".

Yours are not marked 'USAC' (US Air Corps) on the center piece, and has
    a different nose cushion. They are probably 'private purchase', and may
    also pre-date the standard D-1, but I still think they are extremely nice ! !
    (The pilot shown wearing these goggles is in a P-38 'Lightning'.)

Regards, Steve.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Identify these Sunglasses   Identify these Sunglasses  

Last edited by Walkwolf; 04-24-2010 at 06:35 AM.

Dstan12
    ?

Wolf thanks so much I really appreciate that info, great job!