Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Indian Army Enamelled Plate

Article about: I have just bought this plate. It was described as the seller as being a WW2 Indian Army enamelled plate. I was wondering if anyone could confirm this? Its dated 1944 and looks right to me,

I've not received it yet, but the listing with the pics is here : Genuine WWII Dated Ration Mess Tin Bag | eBay

Like you, I'm not 100% sure it's Indian, but the quality of the cotton and the markings are indicative. I will know more when I can inspect the bag for real!

?

Hey Warspite, that is a great example! The Bharat Spinning Company was incorporated in 1920 apparently...

https://www.zaubacorp.com/company/BH...H1920PTC000701

I don't think Bharat was the maker of the bag, but rather the manufacturer of the canvas. This makes it an even rarer marking, because it only appeared once for every 40 yard roll used!

Thanks Karkee, must confess I have only viewed the listing on my iPad so couldn't manipulate the picture to read it clearly (holding the screen to a mirror was the best I could manage!). Glad my instincts were right though and it is Indian. I am really enjoying tracking down this small kit. It's not easy but is very rewarding. The thing I am really trying to track down is a pair of the soldered mess tins. I ordered some from WPG at Christmas, but they sent me standard British ones and then couldn't find any Indian ones in their warehouse. I guess it's just a case of trawling eBay listings until one turns up.

?

Glad to help! I know what you mean about stumbling onto misidentified Empire-made pieces! It's very exciting! I just found these South African-made naval gaiters recently...

I had the exact same problem when I ordered from WPG a few years ago! They originally sent me a mismatched Indian/British set, but they were able to replace it with a correct set.

Those are very nice! I have had something of an Indian kit splurge this weekend- I have also bought an Indian marked wash roll and an anti-dimming set that is supposed to be Indian. This should be arriving today (If Royal Mail deliver as promised) so I will post pictures tonight. I think I might have to rename this post as we have drifted away from the enamel plate into Empire produced small kit...

As promised, pictures of the Indian washroll and markings:

Indian Army Enamelled PlateIndian Army Enamelled Plate

And an anti-dimming tin. This is marked MB for Metal Box company, dated 1942 and has a /|\ marking. I don't recognise the style, but it was sold as being Indian made and having seen the quality I can quite believe it!
    Indian Army Enamelled PlateIndian Army Enamelled PlateIndian Army Enamelled PlateIndian Army Enamelled Plate

?

Great examples Warspite! What is the date on that washroll?

Difficult to say if the MB is for the Metal Box Co of London or India, but the construction seems to indicate Indian manufacture. Also, I wouldn't put that anti-dimming tin into an Indian gas mask bag though, as the rust might bleed through the canvas over time.

The washroll looks to be dated either 1942 or 1943, but its a poor stamp and not easy to read even in real life!

Don't worry the tin is going no where near my gas mask bag! Until told otherwise I am happy that the tin is Indian...

NCA
    ?

Hey Warspite... http://www.jzmilitaria.com/viewphoto...h=53034&phqu=6 pricey I know but rare bit of indian made kit.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast