Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Indian-made Pattern 1937 Webbing Set Overview

Article about: The following set of Pattern 1937 webbing was manufactured between 1942 and 1943 by Bata Shoe Company Private, Limited in British India. Czechoslovak industrialist Tomas Bata set up the firs

?

If you start on an officers' set, just be sure not to open the snaps on the holster and pouches!

Indian-made snaps are notoriously bad and were largely replaced by imported British-made snaps later in the war...

NCA
    ?

Quote by Warspite View Post
    I've just picked up an Indian made small pack on eBay following a tip off from Karkee. It's a seller in Greece, but it arrived in the UK within four days and the seller threw in a free 44 dated cap comforter. I think he has some more for sale, about £25 each. Search for Sakisham711

Ed
    Thanks for the heads up...just spent way to much money with them! He has some good stuff at good prices.

NCA
    ?

Quote by karkee View Post
    If you start on an officers' set, just be sure not to open the snaps on the holster and pouches!

Indian-made snaps are notoriously bad and were largely replaced by imported British-made snaps later in the war...
    Ill bear that in mind...I already have the Officers valise so its only polite to complete the set!

?

You should post pictures, I always love seeing examples of Indian webbing! I actually just saw one of those Indian-made spike bayonet frogs marked "B.S.C. 1941", which is far earlier than I would have thought. I'm not really sure why India produced those frogs, since they seemed to have used the shortened 1907 bayonets throughout the course of the war...

Also, I'm not sure why Bata completely stopped webbing production in 1943 (I haven't seen anything dated later, at any rate).

?

The Bata Shoe Company Factory in Batanagar, West Bengal

A Škoda truck used for the delivery of newly made canvas shoes - Batanagar, 1937

A close-up of a Bata crate showing the company details - Batanagar, 1937

Another Crate marked 'B S C' - Batanagar, 1937

Last edited by karkee; 06-15-2015 at 11:17 PM.

Brilliant pictures, love the 'keep smiling' painted on the end of the building

?

As this photo shows, The Agarpara Coy. Ld. was one firm that supplied webbing stock to the Bata Shoe Company. This cotton mill was incorporated in 1927 and was based in Calcutta.

Advertisement placed by the BATA shoe company in a 1945 dated handbook "Games and Sports in the Services in India":

Has anyone ever identified what AEF, LEF and KEF stands for? I'm curious where their factories actually were in India, but so far it seems just Bata and the BSC and CA abbreviations are known.

And does anyone have a lead on some Indian made L-straps? I'm building a whole webbing, but those are the last parts I still need, as a canteen is already on the way.

Here's what I have now.
    The L-straps shown are British made, as is the 1945 type small strap modification to the e-tool carrier.

?

Great set Michel! Here's a source for l-straps

Indian made 37 Pattern L (pack) Straps - Sentimental Journey - Online Store

Can you show the maker's mark on the E tool carrier? Any chance you know where to find another?

A waterbottle? I'd love to see pictures of that piece as well!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast