Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Info on goggles?????

Article about: When people ask me what they should collect,I usually say "collect what you like,, research the item..but don't always buy the story about what the seller is selling"...well i went

Default Info on goggles?????

When people ask me what they should collect,I usually say "collect what you like,, research the item..but don't always buy the story about what the seller is selling"...well i went against what i usually say, and bought the story that these "throw away goggles " were the one's issued to the people in the area where they tested the A-BOMB that ended Ww 2..????
    any idea's will be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance, Dave
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Info on goggles?????   Info on goggles?????  

Info on goggles?????   Info on goggles?????  

?

Hi Dave,

I'm afraid these are 1950's Swiss made 'Meiss' sky goggles.Info on goggles?????

This image is from is from Etsy and they are $20 (although on another site the are on sale for 150 swiss francs). On Etsy it says -

'These goggle glasses are mid century cool in interchanging Black, Clear, or Orange plastic lenses folding over a velvet felt like material frame on elastic. Not brand new looking obviously as they are about 50 years old- but they're useful although most of all they would make a great display piece for the winter sports antique collector. There is a leather case which holds the lenses each in their own felt file for safekeeping. One size fits all. '

Still, interesting. The sort of thing bad guys chasing James Bond on a ski slope might have worn?

Regards

Steve

MAP
    ?

Quote by Rabaul View Post

Still, interesting. The sort of thing bad guys chasing James Bond on a ski slope might have worn?
    LoL....That is exactly what I was thinking when I saw them! Too funny.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I prefer the "James Bond" story .......
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

Info on goggles?????Info on goggles?????Whilst on the subject, another 'Meiss' ski goggle which often comes up labeled as WWII 'Dust Goggles', usually German, are these :-

Attachment 1122561

However, being from the 1930's there is a good chance that German Alpine Troops (Gebirgsjäger; Gebirgstruppe) could have used these: -

'These extraordinary vintage ski goggles are amazing piece of sport style.
    Meiss ski goggles designed and made in Switzerland during 1930s are not just a nice piece of a sport equipment, but also artefact reminding us precise craftsmanship of the era, when product was designed with care and passion and supposed to last for long time. Not only the foldable goggles with easily interchangeable celluloid filters are what attracted us, but also luxurious packaging with golden user manual inside. You can feel the vibe of the time when pioneers such as Leo Gasperl going down the slopes.'

Would need photographic evidence to prove if used in WWII, but they wouldn't have been 'standard issue'.

A similar French model, from the 1950's also comes up as WWII but isn't : -

'This pair of very rare vintage ski goggles are in exellent condition. Made in France, these D.S. (Descent - Slalom) goggles come with the original box and 3 interchangeable lenses. They were advertised as "The Ski Goggles of Champions" as well as unbreakable & anti-fog. A unique pair to display with your old skis and poles. '

Sorry for going on but got carried away!
    Last edited by Rabaul; 10-17-2017 at 07:09 AM. Reason: added missing picture link

Quote by Rabaul View Post
    Whilst on the subject, another 'Meiss' ski goggle which often comes up labeled as WWII 'Dust Goggles', usually German, are these :-

Attachment 1122561

However, being from the 1930's there is a good chance that German Alpine Troops (Gebirgsjäger; Gebirgstruppe) could have used these: -

'These extraordinary vintage ski goggles are amazing piece of sport style.
    Meiss ski goggles designed and made in Switzerland during 1930s are not just a nice piece of a sport equipment, but also artefact reminding us precise craftsmanship of the era, when product was designed with care and passion and supposed to last for long time. Not only the foldable goggles with easily interchangeable celluloid filters are what attracted us, but also luxurious packaging with golden user manual inside. You can feel the vibe of the time when pioneers such as Leo Gasperl going down the slopes.'

Would need photographic evidence to prove if used in WWII, but they wouldn't have been 'standard issue'.

A similar French model, from the 1950's also comes up as WWII but isn't : -

'This pair of very rare vintage ski goggles are in exellent condition. Made in France, these D.S. (Descent - Slalom) goggles come with the original box and 3 interchangeable lenses. They were advertised as "The Ski Goggles of Champions" as well as unbreakable & anti-fog. A unique pair to display with your old skis and poles. '

Sorry for going on but got carried away!

STEVE, Thanks for the information,i should have taken my own advice and not buy the story,but for $10.00 not a great loss
    thanks Again,
    Dave