Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Inter war Sam Browne belts..... Dateable?

Article about: I know that dating Sam Browne belts has always been a bit problematic, but i noticed something today (doubt I'm the first) that got me thinking. Most of mine are ww2+, but I'm sure some are

Not sure if it's any help, but the following is the official description from the 1931 Dress Regulstions (India):
    Inter war Sam Browne belts..... Dateable?

CBH
    ?

The 1908 is well marked , 1915 the photo doesn't show the date well , got it yesterday for 5$ .
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Inter war Sam Browne belts..... Dateable?  

?

Quote by ILH View Post
    I'm an archaeologist..... I'll date anything ;-p
    Ha .... The old ones are always the best .....

I have two SB belts, one rounded type and one with no stitching in that area at all! Neither have any makers marks or dates.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Inter war Sam Browne belts..... Dateable?   Inter war Sam Browne belts..... Dateable?  

Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

ILH
    ?

Just picked one up with square hangers and round stitching (marked "hand sewn, London)…....
    So that's that theory out!
    Thanks everyone.

Finally understood exactly what you were referring to with the round v pointed stitching, I have two pointed and one with none, though the latter is thinner and might possibly not be British military used?

I noticed looking again at the Kharkee web site that they show a WWII belt with stud inline with the riveted rings and also the same for a WWI belt with double straps so perhaps that feature is not an aid to dating SB belts.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Inter war Sam Browne belts..... Dateable?   Inter war Sam Browne belts..... Dateable?  

Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2