Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Israeli used WW2 british canteen?

Article about: Bought this canteen in an antique store in Israel. Appears British. Thanks in advance! Pics:

The carrier is certainly Belgian as it has a lion on the press stud. There were two variants of stud used by the American Mills Woven Cartridge Belt Company for the Belgian contract, one with this lion and one with a notched print. According to a Belgian ministerial directive of 27 July 1917 the sets were intended for recruits leaving for the front and it was issued at the Yser front from the end of 1917. It saw very little use during World War One, but was issued post war through to 1940.
    These pictures and the information come from Pierre Lierneux's excellent (if expensive and heavy) tome 'The Belgian Army in the Great War'Israeli used WW2 british canteen?Israeli used WW2 british canteen?

Good research, now we have a time period pinned down!

Warspite,

Excellent information.. Thank you for sharing and informing us. This is great information..

Smitty

I did a little more research on this canteen and carrier. The canteen pictured is missing an OD felt cover, but would appear that the khaki web straps may be US manufactured by Mills. The OP posted that inside the snap button it said Mills which would indicate that the khaki straps could have possibly been manufactured by Mills in the US..

The reference book that I found more information is "Field Equipment of the Infantry" 1914-1945, by Robert Fisch, copyright 1989.

Mr. Fisch was the curator of arms and armor at the West Point Museum in the 60's and he was tasked with cataloging a collection of artifacts that had been obtained in 1919 by the US Army Quartermaster General..

This reference source is a very good book that details the equipage used by Infantry from Austria, Belgium, France, Great Britain, Germany, US, Italy, Russia, Poland and many other nations..

A good reference book to have on your shelf if you study and collect field equipment..

Smitty

Thanks for the information and research! It really means a lot. I'll check out the book when I get the chance.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2