Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Just a question about axes

Article about: Hey everyone, i was just going through my recent auction finds, and started wondering about this axe. I have seen various ARP NFS AFS AM etc axes over the years, some marked, some sterile. m

Default Just a question about axes

Hey everyone, i was just going through my recent auction finds, and started wondering about this axe.

I have seen various ARP NFS AFS AM etc axes over the years, some marked, some sterile. most are obvious.
    However, this one has the GVIR Cypher as shown below, and no other markings. am i right in thinking pre war fire service?

Well my reasoning (in my own mind) behind this is :
    It has no /l\ so no obviously not a military issue. Wooden handle not latter rubberised so early production?
    But really the metal fixing to the shoulder/shaft seems like it uses more metal than other variations as it goes all the way around the shaft, so would have been a more expensive production? for example:

My axe:

Another example without the extra metal.

Anyway, like i said just wondering if i was barking up the right tree and if anyone new anymore?

kind regards as always
    Ed

Looks like a Firemans axe to me most likely prewar

prewar i Agree.

thankyou gentlemen, thought it would be but always nice to get another opinion.
    kind regards
    Ed

NCA
    ?

Nice axe.Certainly a Firemans axe.The royal cypher is for George the sixth. GR(georgius rex)VI(roman numerals for 6.) so it dates sometime between 1936-52.

?

Hey Guys,

I picked up this axe a while back and was wondering if anyone can identify it. It has a faint 'CAMEO BRAND' stamp and broad arrow surmounting the letter 'N' (possibly a fire axe on a Royal Navy ship?). Thanks for your help!

?

The N would be the inspectors stamp (his code letter). Inspectors stamps are quite small and often crooked. I have similar on entrenching tools.

Oz.