Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Kanisters of OTHER than the Wehrmacht

Article about: There is a thread on the German Field Equipment forum for the humble jerrycan so I thought we could start one here? Here is a grouping of mine - US and British WW2 ( German pattern dated 194

?

The only British one I have is a WD 1942 - I belive it was DAK loot jerry - 2 layers of yellow on it - the main paint is mustard yellow. It was found here in Hungary, saved from the junkyard. (since no British army fought in Hungary, probably left by Germans)

Cheers,
    Fabe

Kanisters of OTHER than the WehrmachtKanisters of OTHER than the WehrmachtKanisters of OTHER than the WehrmachtKanisters of OTHER than the Wehrmacht

?

sorry for the sideway pics - no idea why it happend - maybe an admin can fix it? THX!

?

My mistake, I also have another British one - a WD 1944 - probably another loot can - with "Petroleum" and a letter "H" (for HEER?) - this is from Berlin (German ebay)

Kanisters of OTHER than the WehrmachtKanisters of OTHER than the WehrmachtKanisters of OTHER than the WehrmachtKanisters of OTHER than the WehrmachtKanisters of OTHER than the WehrmachtKanisters of OTHER than the WehrmachtKanisters of OTHER than the Wehrmacht

Quote by karkee View Post
    Very nice can René! You can see the GSW of General Steel Wares on the bottom...
    Cheers Mate I never noticed that before!

I have 5 or 6 that are American and from the 50's.

The one on my jeep was given to me by a friends father
    who found it at the dump and knew I was doing a
    restoration. Just happened to be a '42 - made
    the same year as the Willys.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by Fabe View Post
    The only British one I have is a WD 1942 - I belive it was DAK loot jerry - 2 layers of yellow on it - the main paint is mustard yellow. It was found here in Hungary, saved from the junkyard. (since no British army fought in Hungary, probably left by Germans)

Cheers,
    Fabe

Kanisters of OTHER than the WehrmachtKanisters of OTHER than the WehrmachtKanisters of OTHER than the WehrmachtKanisters of OTHER than the Wehrmacht
    Thst would be interesting Fabe - copied by the brits & pinched back by the Germans! I wonder if they compared quality? ...."nein, not as gut as our ones"......
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

The quality is the same as they are nearly identical, the swapping around of the jerry cans was fairly common

?

Quote by Fabe View Post

Cheers,
    Fabe

That's a terrific can Fabe! I'd love such an early British-made one like that! I wonder if the brown paint was for the desert campaign?

?

Here is the only petrol can in my collection and it is a 2 gallon 'flimsy' can. I restored it last year, as it was in pretty poor shape.

It has a War Department Broad Arrow and is dated 1935. The lid reads "PETROLEUM SPIRIT HIGHLY INFLAMMABLE" and the brass cap is marked "PRATTS" for Pratt's Motor Spirits. I don't know if the lid originally went to this can, but it is interesting to note that in 1935 the Anglo-American Oil Company replaced the brand name Pratt's with Esso, to align with other products such as Essolube, Essolene, etc.

The bottom of the can is marked "VALOR 11 35", which denotes that the can itself was made by the Valor Company, Limited of Birmingham in November 1935.

Quote by karkee View Post
    Here is the only petrol can in my collection and it is a 2 gallon 'flimsy' can. I restored it last year, as it was in pretty poor shape.

It has a War Department Broad Arrow and is dated 1935. The lid reads "PETROLEUM SPIRIT HIGHLY INFLAMMABLE" and the brass cap is marked "PRATTS" for Pratt's Motor Spirits. I don't know if the lid originally went to this can, but it is interesting to note that in 1935 the Anglo-American Oil Company replaced the brand name Pratt's with Esso, to align with other products such as Essolube, Essolene, etc.

The bottom of the can is marked "VALOR 11 35", which denotes that the can itself was made by the Valor Company, Limited of Birmingham in November 1935.

Excellent flimsy, I have one with a Esso lid dated 1942, a bit rougher shape than yours however!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast