Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Khaki two tone canvas rucksack - External A-frame. British / German?

Article about: Afternoon. I was wondering if anyone recognises this rucksack. I'm looking for a possible origin / manufacture. I have sold two-tone canvas items in the past. Mainly signal bags that were ma

Default Khaki two tone canvas rucksack - External A-frame. British / German?

Khaki two tone canvas rucksack - External A-frame. British / German?Khaki two tone canvas rucksack - External A-frame. British / German?Khaki two tone canvas rucksack - External A-frame. British / German?Khaki two tone canvas rucksack - External A-frame. British / German?Khaki two tone canvas rucksack - External A-frame. British / German?Khaki two tone canvas rucksack - External A-frame. British / German?Khaki two tone canvas rucksack - External A-frame. British / German?Khaki two tone canvas rucksack - External A-frame. British / German?Khaki two tone canvas rucksack - External A-frame. British / German?Khaki two tone canvas rucksack - External A-frame. British / German?Khaki two tone canvas rucksack - External A-frame. British / German?Khaki two tone canvas rucksack - External A-frame. British / German?Khaki two tone canvas rucksack - External A-frame. British / German?

Afternoon.

I was wondering if anyone recognises this rucksack. I'm looking for a possible origin / manufacture.

I have sold two-tone canvas items in the past. Mainly signal bags that were manfactured in The Neatherlands for the Dutch Army. Whereby the canvas has a distinctive two-tone colour-way. I put two and two together and wondered if this may have been made for similar troops? Or if in fact it was British-made for military or civilian use?

No markings to note outer canvas or webbing. There is a khaki brown webbing to the rear of the rucksack , again no dates to note. As well as a strap with brass fittings.

The interior is fitted with green canvas cover for protection and an inside pouch pocket. The main straps are of a lighter weighted canvas. The rear belt is your typical webbing, seen on later patterns perhaps?

All comments are welcome.

Regards, Gillan

This does resemble the british 'A' frame bergan in a lot of ways but when my buddies and I used to carry these in the course of our "employment" I certainly never saw one with a single central strap on the top flap. Also, as I recall, the closure straps were all webbing not leather. Based on this and overall appearance I think this may well be a civilian variant but I can only say I don't believe it is British military.

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 02-09-2016 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Typo

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    This does resemble the british 'A' frame bergan in a lot of ways but when my buddies and I used to carry these in the course of our "employment" I certainly never saw one with a single central strap on the top flap. Also, as I recall, the closure straps were all webbing not leather. Based on this and overall appearance I think this may well be a civilian variant but I can only say I don't believe it is British military.

Regards

Mark
    Hi Mark. Thanks for getting in touch.

I am familiar with the British Bergen / Bergan* issued rucksack that you talk of. I have sold quite a number of them. I wasn't sure if there was perhaps a few models knocking around during the war era. As it certainly has that look and feel.

The reason I ask is that I have often found packs similar to this, with leather straps that feature the broad arrow /|\ stamped onto the webbing. I was hoping to find it tucked away somewhere but sadly it isn't the case. It looks as though I may have to leave it open to the buyers to make the decision. You're probably correct with regards to civilian variant . I just wanted to be 100%.

My estimate was 1950s / possibly early 1960 era, would you agree? The single strap fastening reminded me of the Original Bergans of Norway pack from 1933 with pear shaped front flap. From experience I knew it wasn't to be.

Thanks again. Regards, Gil

I think you are likely correct with the timeframe as from the late '60s certainly the generally available rucksacks of this type were of much lighter / inferior construction. I and a lot of my peers had such items as schoolboy / adventurers!

Regarding the "odd" issue I certainly encountered many weird and wonderful almost "one off" items that found their way into mainstream use all fully marked with military nomenclature and nobody really knowing where they came from except that they were in the unit "Q" stores. These probably arrived via various troop trials and who knows what but they were always marked.

All that said, you still have a nice vintage piece there.

Regards

Mark