Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Korean War cartridge belt?

Article about: Hey, I bought this recently off of eBay and I thought I could use it for my Korean war field gear but found out that I could not attach it to the suspenders and web equipment. I also found t

Default Korean War cartridge belt?

Hey,

I bought this recently off of eBay and I thought I could use it for my Korean war field gear but found out that I could not attach it to the suspenders and web equipment. I also found that it is an unusual olive drab green color (lighter) and it has no markings and no traces of even faded markings. Could I get some help identifying this belt? Is it Greek? Is it even American?

Thanks,
    Michael
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Korean War cartridge belt?   Korean War cartridge belt?  

Korean War cartridge belt?  
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 03-08-2013 at 02:22 AM.

Default Re: Korean War cartridge belt?

Sorry,

Please ignore photos 2,3,5,6,7,8,9 I don't know how to delete them off the thread.

Thanks

Hi Snake,

I may be wrong, but I was under the impression that cartridge belts that also have the inner snap were WWII vintage (used to secure m1903 stripper clips, which would be stored two per pouch and are smaller than M1 Garand enbloc clips). I believe late WWII/ Korean War cartridge belts eliminated these inner snaps because the M1903 was used less frequently.

I can't explain the lack of markings... web gear in general is normally marked like crazy! Have you looked EVERYWHERE on the belt? Examine it under different types of lighting, too... it could be faded. In general, early WWII stuff tends to be light colored khaki color while late war/ Korean War stuff tends to be OD green. There was a transitional period when the factories still had some stocks of khaki colored webbing and new stocks of OD green colored webbing. Stuff made during this time tends to be a mix-match of khaki and OD green.

Why can't you attach your suspenders? They should clip right into the eyelet holes.

Well it is definitely a solid color, the only photos I actually meant to put up there were the green ones. I had looked at it over and over and just found that it is a solid funny looking green color. It doesn't seem to have markings and there are only four eyelets on the top section of the belt.

Thanks,
    Michael

Interesting... I think there should be six eyelet holes on the top of the belt. Does the belt smell old?

It could be a repro/ movie prop?

"Korean era" USMC cartridge belts kept the inner snaps into the early 50s ~ as late as 1953.

I reduced the amount of pics for you Michael. Hope these are
    the ones you wanted left up.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Those are exactly it thank you. It does smell old and I picked it up on eBay for around $20-$30. The eyelets are on the front near the clasp and at the back near the waist.

Thanks,
    Michael