Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Late war odd economy P-37 waist belt

Article about: Thanks very much Dave I do like a challenge I will keep searching around I am positive that sooner or later some information will come to light concerning this type of waist belt without the

?

Default Late war odd economy P-37 waist belt

Good evening folks I have acquired this late war manufactured P-37 waist belt which is nicely maker marked and dated to 1944 and IMO looks to be in near unissued condition.
    The belt would appear to have a very light coat of blanco on the exterior what makes this particular waist belt an interesting example to me compared to the other two I have in my collection is that the slides are manufactured from webbing instead of brass and or anodized or painted steel these are very hard to find and I very rarely see these variations for sale.
    If my research is correct they started manufacturing the slides from webbing in mid to late 1943 and it was done as part of an effort to save on metal.
    One other oddity is the lack of the buckled chapes on the back side of the waist belt I do know they were removed post war but I can not find any evidence that there wear any sewn on this belt at any time and I can only find one other war time example with out the rear buckles any one have any thoughts ?
    Thanks for looking any and all comments welcome.

Regards Mark K
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Late war odd economy P-37 waist belt   Late war odd economy P-37 waist belt  

Late war odd economy P-37 waist belt  

?

Default Re: Late war P-37 waist belt

A little more information regarding this waist belt there is an example of this same belt shown here at karkee (Pattern 1937 Web Equipment ) but they are as well un shur of its origin and are asking for information or assistance in identification.

Regards Mark K

?

Default Re: Late war odd economy P-37 waist belt

Contact them and let them know you have a 44' one. Interesting that they were made in 43, and 44, so it's certainly not a one off thing.

Very interesting piece of 37 pattern Mark that's for sure.
    It's the first of it's type I have seen and I am eager to see the outcome It does looks very "ersatz" in construction but.
    Good luck with it all mate
    All the best
    Dave

?

Thanx for the imput Dave the economy style of P-37 web belt were quite common but I do not see them come up for sale very often.
    As to this particular variation with out the buckled chapes I had seen the one on karkee web some time ago and was always curious about it's origin as I had never seen another like it.
    Then last week I found this one for sale the seller confirmed the absence of the buckles on the back and no sign of there ever being any attached so I thought it was worth the gamble I was hoping that this thread would generate a decent discussion on this piece of kit as so far I am stumped by this one .
    Thanx as well for the imput Nitram I was going to contact Karkee web but I thought it was worth some discussion first before I contacted them if anyone else has any thoughts on this waist belt they would be appreciated thanks for looking

Regards Mark K

?

I wonder if they can simply be regular belts, that were taken off the production line and not finished.

Nitram

The ends taper off to a tab where the standard P37 belt has no taper or tab as such and a brass end plate so a non finished belt is unlikely I feel.It was made to those spec's not modified by the look of the construction.
    It's a good-un
    All the best
    Dave

?

A little bit of an update I have been in contact with the Admin at Karkee Web concerning this particular variation of the P-37 waist belt and it's usage there was some discussion at one point that it may have been the waist belt for the #5 Ack Pack.
    You'll will note in the image below, that shaped "C" hooks were attached to the outside of that item's belt, working in conjunction with a fully hooked RH belt fastener after looking at some diagrams from the manual and many images of the #5 Ack Pack It could still be a possibility but unlikely because of the buckling system that would be needed.
    There is one other possibility that has come to light and that is it could be Communications Related, and part of a late war Wireless Set (W.S.), from 1944 / 1945 this of course is just speculation at this point as I am still hunting down and researching diagrams and images for wireless radio equipment.

Regards Mark K
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Late war odd economy P-37 waist belt  
    Attached Images Attached Images Late war odd economy P-37 waist belt 

?

Just a little bump I received the 37 Pattern waist belt in the post today and I can confirm that there has never been buckled chapes sewn on the rear of this belt .
    As to what this particular belt was originally designed for is still a mystery to me and I am unable to find any additional information about it out there any and all comments welcome .

Thanks for looking regards Mark K

I've also found nothing more Mark. Sorry mate.
    I'll keep an eye open though as it's an interesting piece of P 37 type webbing.
    All the best mate with your search.
    Dave

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast