Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Lockhead hudson AT-18 slide rule.

Article about: I found two slide rules(Load Adjuster) today thought I would show. The first post is for a Lockhead hudson that is in orig box the other is not. They are for use of various indicators of loa

Default Lockhead hudson AT-18 and b17 slide rule.

I found two slide rules(Load Adjuster) today thought I would show. The first post is for a Lockhead hudson that is in orig box the other is not.
    They are for use of various indicators of load (weight) for different compartments and the materials to be loaded therein. Each item to be stored on the aircraft, including fuel, bombs and crew, has a weight which adds to a shift in the balance of the aircraft (the centre of gravity) away from its centre line thus tending to cause it to turn towards the point of this mass. This is the turning "moment" of the load. The accumulation of various loads in different parts of the aircraft needs to be balanced out so that the aircraft's tendency to stray from its course is minimised. The scales are not logarithmic but simple linear scales because the rule's function is to add the moments as they are distributed over the aircraft.
    Eric

Lockhead hudson AT-18 slide rule.
    Lockhead hudson AT-18 slide rule.Lockhead hudson AT-18 slide rule.Lockhead hudson AT-18 slide rule.Lockhead hudson AT-18 slide rule.Lockhead hudson AT-18 slide rule.Lockhead hudson AT-18 slide rule.Lockhead hudson AT-18 slide rule.Lockhead hudson AT-18 slide rule.Lockhead hudson AT-18 slide rule.
    Lockhead hudson AT-18 slide rule.Lockhead hudson AT-18 slide rule.
    Last edited by Eric Zentner; 12-22-2011 at 08:47 AM.
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

Default Re: Lockhead hudson AT-18 slide rule.

This one is for a B-17

Eric
    Lockhead hudson AT-18 slide rule.Lockhead hudson AT-18 slide rule.Lockhead hudson AT-18 slide rule.Lockhead hudson AT-18 slide rule.Lockhead hudson AT-18 slide rule.Lockhead hudson AT-18 slide rule.Lockhead hudson AT-18 slide rule.Lockhead hudson AT-18 slide rule.Lockhead hudson AT-18 slide rule.

Very interesting pieces, Eric! I wish I knew about them.

Quote by Good Pwny View Post
    Very interesting pieces, Eric! I wish I knew about them.
    Hi GP in short it is for the determination of the center of gravity that was a big factor in figuring our how the plane would land and take off as well as in the air. If it was a bit nose heavy it would be requiring more aft trim especially on landing. The effect could also cause a nose up pitch if the pilot had to take a waveoff.
    People,fuel,payload, all would affect it and the shifting of such. This was just a quick and accurate check.
    Eric
    Last edited by Eric Zentner; 12-22-2011 at 09:03 AM.

Two nice pieces Ez, and very well explained too.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thanks Ned.

Eric