Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

long hose avon gas mask

Article about: this is my first gas mask purchase. originally it came with the bag, unfortunately the seller put the mask and other stuff in the bag which was very fragile and poorly packaged, by the time

Default long hose avon gas mask

this is my first gas mask purchase. originally it came with the bag, unfortunately the seller put the mask and other stuff in the bag which was very fragile and poorly packaged, by the time it went from UK to US the bag was destroyed. I saved all the brass parts as they seem to be an uncommon version of j hooks. I would like to find another bag.
    has any one taken off the lenses to clean them? how is this done properly?

long hose avon gas mask long hose avon gas mask long hose avon gas mask long hose avon gas mask long hose avon gas mask long hose avon gas mask

NCA
    ?

I have to ask..what on earth happened to it in transit to fall apart?!Couldn't it have been re-sewn?

The eye pieces don't come out..there is a part that unscrews but you need a special tool for that.The glass is glued into place anyway.Maybe glasses wipes inside and out?

Was the shoulder strap destroyed as well?I have this version and its not too common.Elaborate and a lot of brass which was reduced as the war ground on.

the canvas is rotted and very fragile, just handling it will make tears. the strap was in pieces and crumbly...not savable. when I bought this I did now know the condition of the bag, I just new the long hose mask was rare and I got a very good deal on it still all things considered. had I known the condition I would have had it packed separately.
    I will leave the eye pieces alone then

I saved the brass pieces in the hopes of finding 50mm cotton webbing and sew the pieces on the new webbing, but I have had no luck finding any in the US . all I can find on ebay is heavy duty/thick cotton webbing.

?

Nice mask, though that has to be the roughest bag I have ever seen! The long hose mask was used by the Royal Navy, RAF and Royal Artillery.

The Mk VI bag was an attempt to standardize the design for all services. The brass hooks allowed it to be worn in the standard fashion, over the shoulder in cavalry fashion and around the waist for use with the long hose respirator. Of course, it also had pockets on the back for the newly issued anti-gas eyeshields. They are scarcer than the later Mk VII bags.

Here are some for sale, but they have had there brass hooks removed.

Original WW2 British Army General Service MKVI Gas Mask Bag Haversack G1

You may consider getting one of these and restoring it to original specs or just wait for a complete one to show up (which may prove cheaper).

What you really need is the waist belt for the gasmask bag. They look like a standard strap, but they have a buckle similar to the P37 belt. These are rare, however.

Hope this help!

I do want to make a waist belt, I have extra brass hooks, I just need the other brass parts and then to find some one who has one that will give me measurements.

ive seen those bags, im assuming those straps have been shortened when they removed the brass.

thank you for the info

?

My pleasure! I can get you some pictures and measurements, but it may take me a while to find mine...

that would be great! thank you, I'm in no hurry...

I have shown my long hose masks and bags on the forum.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

ive seen the masks and bags, nice collection!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast