Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Map case, economy issue or civilian?

Article about: Here's a map case that we've been told is military. It is unmarked. I suspect it's civilian, but hope to be proved wrong. has anyone seen one like this before? cheers, jim.

ILH
    ?

Default Map case, economy issue or civilian?

Here's a map case that we've been told is military. It is unmarked.
    I suspect it's civilian, but hope to be proved wrong.

has anyone seen one like this before?
    cheers,
    jim.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Map case, economy issue or civilian?   Map case, economy issue or civilian?  

Map case, economy issue or civilian?  

?

Default Re: Map case, economy issue or civilian?

Its not a design that I'm familiar with, and again I would have to say its a civilian model.

Nige
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "

Again, not a pattern I have seen either.

I have seen various types in use with Army officers were were not issue items. I have one in my collection from came from the estate of a REME Officer. This would fall under the realm of private purchase so it could well have been used. I like the general look of it.

Cheers, Ade.

?

I would have to agree with Nige and Ade.
    Same as them, its not a type that I have ever come across and would tend to err towards civilian with the slight possibility of being private purchase if used militarily.

Andy Baillie
    ?

I have one quite similar that I’ve also been pondering...

It was used in Burma and contains items such as a decoded messages regarding Japanese patrols, positions, MG posts & enemy strength, as well as captured Japanese map plotting paper that was tucked behind the board and a leather Japanese sewing pouch with needle and thread. Mine isn’t marked either and bares some similarities in design and materials to yours.

As soon as I can dig it out of it’s box (I recently moved house), I’ll photograph it.

Andy

?

As a foot note to my previous post I would say that going by the pictures that the map case is made from a Khaki Gabardine or Macintosh (if rubberised) fabric, and therefore could be a private purchase item, made by a company or tailor more normally associated with the manufacture of rain or overcoats. Again the style and type of buttons used would also tend to lean me in the direction of this theory, it could even be that the map case made from such a garment in the first place, hence the buttons lapel style tabs and front pocket.

Nige.
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "