Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Mark V gas mask

Article about: by ruddersrangers44 Iv'e always known these as the AVON NO4 army gas mask and was only used by the armed services?wasn,t the ARP mask issued to all non combat roles?........Jake. Not just Av

Default Re: Mark V gas mask

Quote by ruddersrangers44 View Post
    Iv'e always known these as the AVON NO4 army gas mask and was only used by the armed services?wasn,t the ARP mask issued to all non combat roles?........Jake.
    Not just Avon made this pattern of mask, other companies included Siebe Gorman, Leyland and a few others I can't remember. This type of mask was originally intended for use by the armed forces, however it did find itself being issued and used back on the home front during the war alongside the Civilian Duty Respirator.

Thanks

Danny

Yes indeed. The service respirator has a much larger canister than the civil types, allowing for longer exposure to gas.

'Personal Protection Against Gas' (HMSO 1938) says 'The service respirator is the pattern issued to the fighting services. It will also be provided for members of certain Civil ARP services whose duties might involve their remaining and working in high concentrations of gas. These include Police, first aid parties and decontamination squads'.

Quote by douglas2496 View Post
    Yes indeed. The service respirator has a much larger canister than the civil types, allowing for longer exposure to gas.

'Personal Protection Against Gas' (HMSO 1938) says 'The service respirator is the pattern issued to the fighting services. It will also be provided for members of certain Civil ARP services whose duties might involve their remaining and working in high concentrations of gas. These include Police, first aid parties and decontamination squads'.
    Douglas,the gas mask i bought isn't the same mask and canister was used at the front?

What do you mean? Sorry I dont understand.

Quote by douglas2496 View Post
    What do you mean? Sorry I dont understand.
    Is my filter the same as the one used for military purpose??Thanks

Yes it is. Your gasmask is the type used by British soldiers in WW2.

The service type respirators all have the same filter (except for some used for industrial purposes). What I was saying is that the service respirator (the type you have) has a larger filter than civillian types of gasmask, which are not of the service type. This larger capacity filter meant that service resperators were sometimes used by civillians who might require a larger capacity filter. Sorry if I confused you.

i just asked because you said this:''The service respirator has a much larger canister than the civil types, allowing for longer exposure to gas''. Thanks again for your time and help

I just wondered if you would like to see my MkV with accessories, named to a Private Hammond.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mark V gas mask  

excellent!!!!!!!!

Mark V gas maskMark V gas maskMark V gas maskMark V gas maskMark V gas maskMark V gas maskMark V gas maskMark V gas maskMark V gas maskMark V gas maskYeahhhh!!!! mates.It is here.My mark V arrived yesterday.The filter is dates 4/41,the mask itself 1940 ,exel valve 1940 and the head harness 5/41, anti dimming stick 5/40 and the antigas ointment no2 it is very nice too.I have a couple of thinks that i worry about: the crowsfoot at the exel valve looks like it isn't complete,such a triangle /\ and the rubber facepiece hasn't a crowsfoot.[i think that the crowsfoot at the nose piece has fainted] Any opinions will be welcome and and very usefull

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast