Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Markings on Canadian items

Article about: Thanks for showing your bag SCB i was wondering if there were different stye according to years (1935-1944)or if they were made in england or canada . Frenchy

Default Markings on Canadian items

Hello !
    Not long ago i won this duffel bag and there is some marking on the bag .It seams to be hand painted and i was wondering if it was the normal way of doing it and if they had to have those marking on the item.
    I have been told that the owner (canadian soldier) landed in sicily got wounded there and send back to England . So is the marking related to the regiment he was in ? and the Exit / 2.0 means ?
    thanks for the help in advance

Frenchy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Markings on Canadian items   Markings on Canadian items  

Default Re: marking on canadian items

Hi Frenchy, the markings on kit bags were always hand painted by the Soldier or Airman himself.

I cannot tell you what these all mean though.

I suspect the "Exit / 2.0" will have something to do with the transport ship he was on.

Cheers, Ade.

Default Re: Markings on Canadian items

I see a lot of kit bags, and the really good ones have artwork on them.

I have no idea about the number 289/7. The three stripes could be divisional, but the G under that is not something I have seen on Canadian gear.

I checked McKee's regimental number and all i can tell you is its listed as an active force with Military District 4.

If you turn the bag inside out, can you see what was blacked out on the front? Sometimes when a lot of ink (?) is put in one spot, what you are trying to blot out carries through to the other side. If there is something there, it might be a help.

it's a serie of number that i can read the 2 first clearly it seam to be 58 maybe a 0 after and then nothing else i can read

Frenchy

Where can you search his number to know the district 4 ?
    frenchy

Quote by frenchy View Post
    Where can you search his number to know the district 4 ?
    frenchy
    There is a book called Regimental Numbers by Service Publications that tells you all that information. It is a recommended reference for any collector of Canadian militaria. I like it so much that I bought both editions.

Dale

Also found this information...keep in mind these are British Royal Ordnance Corps regulations, but should be the the same reasons why the Canadians did the same thing.

To facilitate loading, clearing of ship and disposal of troops on disembarkation, each package or article of unit baggage, personal baggage or equipment which accompanies personnel by rail or which is sent as bulk stores, will, in addition to being the serial number of the unit, be painted with distinguishing lines. ....

Colours denoting figures are given below in official nomenclature of paints held by RAOC. ....
    1 Red, bright, GS
    2 Blue, GS
    3 Yellow, Ammn.
    4 Green, light, GS
    5 Grey, Ammn.
    6 Buff, GS
    7 Red, oxide of iron, GS
    8 Service colour, GS
    9 White lead, GS
    0 Brown, dark, GS

The colors to be painted on the baggage will be those above and will consist of three parallel horizontal bars 8 inches long by 2 inches wide. The upper and lower bars will represent the tens digit and the center bar will represent the unit digit of the unit serial number. In addition the serial number of the unit will be painted above the upper bar in white or black, whichever will show more clearly on the background of the package. ...

Personal baggage will be marked with the individual's number, name, unit or draft serial and destination letter. The numerical designation of the unit will not be shown.

Hope this helps out a bit.

Dale

Dale Thanks for the info and the name of the book you mentioned it's on it's way home next week i just bought it tonight and slowly but surely i will be getting my base covered with good info .

And yes it helps a lot ,that is why this forum is one if not the best to learn from.

Frenchy

PS: Thanks to Ade and STB for your helps too i appreciate it very much

No problem, glad to help out.

Dale

Here's a look at a kit bag I have. This one I think is my best example.

The words London and Newmarket are very clearly written on the bag. There is a few more places on there but hard to read. There is one name FARNHAM ..?? not sure on that one.

I think the one drawing is of the General List badge.

There is a few images on the bag, that really do not show up well. I believe that they were sketched in pencil. They look like they were copies of Vargas girls. The largest one by the soldier's name, looks similar to the nose art on Memphis Belle.

I also like how the name was misspelled, and fixed.

According to the Regimental Number book, Brenner is listed as being with the Kent Regiment. Interesting regiment as they were combined with the Essex.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Markings on Canadian items   Markings on Canadian items  

Markings on Canadian items   Markings on Canadian items  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast