Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Markings on Canadian items

Article about: Thanks for showing your bag SCB i was wondering if there were different stye according to years (1935-1944)or if they were made in england or canada . Frenchy

Default Re: Markings on Canadian items

Thanks for showing your bag SCB i was wondering if there were different stye according to years (1935-1944)or if they were made in england or canada .

Frenchy

I am not sure how it all gets sorted out. I would imagine that there were quite a few styles, and mixed up lots from WW1 into WW2 because Canadian troops were ill equipped in the thirties into the early forties.
    I had a look through another book I have, '37 Web, Equipping the Canadian Soldier, by Ed Storey. ( The '37 refers to the 1937 pattern that Commonwealth troops were issued) It doesn't make a reference to a kit bag that I saw.
    I've seen a few variants. This one that I posted has a flap on the inside. I have seen others that do not have the flap, and are just a straight bag. Some have two handles, and other have one long shoulder strap.
    I really think the only way to tell is if the soldier marked it somehow, which all of them did.

Sorry I'm not much help.

No problem i was just wondering if there were a certain pattern like the rest of the 37 pattern kit . i just secure his(canadian soldier) second duffel bag so by saturday i will be able to see if it's the same one .
    A question to you the book you mention ('37 Web, Equipping the Canadian Soldier, by Ed Storey. ) i was looking to buy it the other day and wasn't sure if it was worth it so is it a must have or ?

Thanks

Well..I got it to help sort out the Moebius Strip of straps, bags and belts that the troops would wear.
    When I acquire a tunic, or full uniform, I try to get the correct '37 web' to display it. It's not easy on your own to try to figure out the smaller straps, and how they connect. It shows the difference between Roll Call Order, and Drill Order, Battle Order, Full Marching Order etc.
    So, for me, I found it to be a necessity collecting Canadian gear.

I bought the book at the big military show in Etobicoke. There was one cat there selling nothing but reference books. I bought a few.

Toronto Military Show

Ok Thanks
    As i am gearing toward staying with mostly Canadian or British i think i will consider this one too after i received the one i just bough
    And i am going to have a visit at that military show sometimes before the end of summer for sure

Frenchy

ILH
    ?

Quote by SatansCabanaBoy View Post
    The words London and Newmarket are very clearly written on the bag. There is a few more places on there but hard to read. There is one name FARNHAM ..?? not sure on that one.
    Farnham in Surrey, probably?
    It's been a mildly military town for most of the last Century- a satelite to Aldershot.

Jim,
    another 37 fetishist

Thanks Jim

Did the Canadian group there in Farnham?
    ..or maybe Brenner was billeted there..??

ILH
    ?

There was a Canadian built camp at Tweedsmuir Camp, Thursley, near Farnham.....
    they grouped where ever space could be found.
    My area had some tankers at Stockcross and the CASC at Lambourn (near Newbury in Berkshire)- the locals often confused them with the US 101st Airborne also billeted locally- despite the difference in unifroms.

The again there's the Canadian parachute school at Farnham- Quebec.....hmmmm!

Not much help, but every step gets you closer.
    jim.

Here is the second duffel bag that just arrived today from the same vet but with more marking that have me scratched my head again.
    here some pics if somebody could shed a light on those it would be appreciated.
    In the first pic i am not sure if i read corrctly but it seams that the word casket is there (and in my book casket means coffin ???)
    In the second pic R.C.R. S.P. i know that Royal Canadian Regiment but the S.P. means what ?
    In the third pic the number 289E or 239E means ?

Thanks in advance

Frenchy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Markings on Canadian items   Markings on Canadian items  

Markings on Canadian items  

Hey Frenchy

I think that the RCR SP might mean the Royal Canadian Regiment Staging Post.

The rest of the markings, I just have no idea.
    I can say that I have not seen markings like that before, especially that large of a stencil.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2